London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
06/10/2013 at 09:32

Both those things are important Dove. I can see that

KEF
06/10/2013 at 09:50

Good morning all. Sun is shining, at last, so it's a gardening I will go.

Soz to read about all sickly people, hope everyone gets well soon.

My toms just about done, still lot loads of beans to pick..anyone want any? No more space in freezer for them. Courgettes need removing. Winter flowering Broc', that has been producing since August is going strong, me thinks I planted it too soon

Today it's roast pork for evening meal, with the last of the apple sauce from freezer. Apples almost ready to pick to start making new lots.

I must plant the free tulips bulbs I got in the spring.

Have a good day all.

06/10/2013 at 09:55

Pear cake dove, Mmmmm sounds delish.  Could you send the recipe please. Tho I won't be baking today don't think I've got the energy to do alot today.  You obviously enjoy cooking as much as your gardening.  Your meals always sound lovely. Fairygirl ours is on a slight slope too, bit of a pain getting level, but done now. What a beautiful day today, sun shining,  birds singing couldn't be better

06/10/2013 at 10:16

Morning everyone.  Lovely morning - at last.  Promised sunshine didn't materialise until really late yesterday.

Hi Kef. Good to 'see' you.

Was beginning to feel guilty about how little I am doing then remembered the 19 bags of rubble I produced earlier in the year, when the weather was hot, hot, hot, whilst clearing and levelling the back of the garden, so feeling exhonorated now. Am going to try and move a well established plant today as it is squashed between my Eucalyptus tree and another large shrub.  Only has room to grow upwards! Would also like to move a lovely rose which is still blooming but not sure whether this would be wise. Would rather leave it than kill it off. 

I am actually going to cook today!  Last time was 17 September when I invited daughter for a meal as it was her birthday.  Wonder if I can remember how to work the cooker? I know I will regret it as I will get impatient and probably won't enjoy it when it's done.  Give me a sarnie any day.

Weetabix beckons. Enjoy your day everyone.

06/10/2013 at 10:18

Morning all. Sunny if cool morning here.  Got busy day as it is one of the granddaughters birthday so we are taking her to Toys R Us to destroy the bank balance and then round to daughters house for birthday tea.  I have been promised a party bag so have to go

hope to find time to put some seeds in a unheated propogater I got yesterday which will stay in the summerhouse which keeps nice and warm.  I plan to do a three weekly seed to get a bit of an extended crop should anything work.  If not, it is good practice to get into the swing of things.

back to work after three weeks off tomorrow, need to keep the dream alive while pointlessly shuffling bits of paper.

have a great sunday guys, catch up with you later

06/10/2013 at 12:18

Morning all been a very busy week with the official opening of our new school headteacher asked me to do some flower's for the entrance and foyer here's the picture's of them it was my first time at trying this.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32187.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32188.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32189.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32190.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32191.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32192.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32193.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

Last photo of all the flower's on a table in the office before they went out on display i forgot about the vase of flower's not got single photo of them. Oops sorry about the 2 photo's that's the wrong way round don't know how to correct them hope you all enjoy.

06/10/2013 at 12:21

Sorry when you enlarge the 2 photo's they come up the right way round.

06/10/2013 at 12:29

Andy they look fantastic - what smashing ideas!!!   They're very lucky to have you.

06/10/2013 at 12:33

Andy they are so lucky to have you - I hope they know that!  The pix correct themselves when you click on them. Hope you get a bit of time to yourself now to catch up in your own plot.

Dove- I'm not sure you're allowed to mention C*******s but since you'll be enjoying this year's as a 'newly retired person' I think we can forgive you  Pear and almond sounds great - send some this way. Is it pheasants or peasants...?

You can move the rose when it's finished flowering Tina. Was the weetabix tasty?

Was hoping to make apple sauce in future too KEF, but since my Bramleys.. aren't...I can't. Not only that, they're looking like two completely different varieties as they're ripening 

Going to have some lunch and venture out if the rain ever goes off 

06/10/2013 at 12:52

Rain FG?   What's that?  The water butts here are nearly empty again. We've still got wall to wall sunshine - I've been out on the terrace picking the last of the tomatoes and wondering whether I should pull up the courgettes - I mean it's October, but they're still producing a few!  And the raspberries - I picked a freezer box full yesterday and there's more today!

I bet Alan4711 is glad he moved over here - wonder when he'll be organised enough to venture onto the board again?

06/10/2013 at 12:57

It went off and was looking promising when I went out earlier Dove, but as soon as I got home it came on again - that very fine drizzly misty stuff.  It's looking dreich - as we say here! I may have to do ...you know what... h*******k. 

My sweet oeas are still valiantly producing a few blooms. Very pleasant yesterday as I was working next to the ones at the back door in the sun.

06/10/2013 at 14:28

They look lovely andy, very artistic.  Really love the ochid, is it in a pot in the bowl ?  Still sunny here, lovely sunday afternoon.  Hope all you poorly people are feeling better today.

06/10/2013 at 14:52

No good whatsoever at flower arranging. 

Andy, well done...they all look artistically arranged.  Love my garden but putting things in a vase?    Not a skill I possess.  

Weather in far south west is cloudy but warm. A few miles to the east and apparently it's roasting.  Being on the coast has its downside with the rolling sea mists.  Losing my sun tan 

06/10/2013 at 14:59

Andy, you made a lovely job of that!!  Very impressed. I only ever manage to kill houseplants off.

Well, I didn't manage to move the shrub as I found out the roots were under those of the Eucalyptus tree.  Thought they were a bit large!  So have cut it down and will also cut the one in front of it to give it room to spread.  Rose moving noted FG.  Stupidly decided to move the pond's black box as a certain someone (OH) cut the cable to the UV light really short.  Ended up in a right pickle and had to enlist the aid of son, who had a go at me and I cried.  What a wimp.  Think he regretted doing so and told me not to cook dinner but to rest.  Am doing both.

It's beautiful here today and if, as it says at the top of this page, it's 18 degrees, then I am definitely only 27. Mind you, feel like 107at the moment after my hard labour earlier. Sounds like I gave birth doesn't it.

Right, 'to infinity and beyond'. (Think the sun's got to me).

06/10/2013 at 15:34

Nearly 20C here!!! Really!!!  The Swiss chard is flagging. What an amazing Indian Summer we're having  I've watered the courgettes - they can carry on a bit longer.  OH planted 2 rows of garlic last weekend -  the row near the end of the plot is over 2" tall already!  - the other row hasn't appeared yet 

06/10/2013 at 15:52

think I've made a good job of the dry shadey area.

Conifer and lilac pruned to an inch of their life so not really shady any more, just need to keep it that way!

looked around garden for plants I don't mind loosing to try there - snowberry right at the back, looks great for now. Peonies in front, they weren't too much further forward so may be ok. Then lavender and asters, as there's now plenty of light they may be ok. All helped along with goblins and friends.

I've also moved the hot lips to beside my seat so I can enjoy it more and it's a better location for other reasons too. Now I just have a year to wait to see how they all grow.

lots of space in front for cuttings (if they survive), and to move other stuff in due course.

hope it looks ok to you guys (multigender word). the snowberry, not sure real name, is my favourite as couldn't see it where it was before, hope it survives.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32197.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

06/10/2013 at 15:54

hmmm, picture s not great, just got carried away...

06/10/2013 at 15:54

That looks lovely Mrs G - super pink echinacea 

06/10/2013 at 16:51

Thanks Dove, looks better in real life.

OH turned up with his dad's old coldframe for me, no where to put it, discussed standing it on it's side and putting shelves in, but not enough room for seed trays. \think he thought he'd found a good alternative to his grow house project ... and nearly has. Can lay it down on decking but  then up draughts from underneath. Will keep you updated.

06/10/2013 at 17:20

Snowberry--- its a symphoricarpos albus!  he he he i cheated, ooops sorry

Looks very nice Mrsgarden very busy girl, ive done nothing today, still ache!! Back to work tomorrow