London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
07/04/2013 at 13:32

When I flit between the chat thread sI try to say something slightly different each time -mind you sometimes I forget what i have said where.

Multi-tasking

07/04/2013 at 13:59
Rosa pulcino wrote (see)

Multi-tasking

It's what we're good at Rosa

Went to nursery and was very restrained but after all the chat about hellebores I succumbed! Just the one..white, called 'Bob's Best'. Nowhere to put it right enough but hey-that's life I did go and do shopping after and bought some cheap pots to temporarily house things!

Hoe you enjoy the art Dove. It's a lovely thing to do.

07/04/2013 at 14:31
Hey Fairygirl,
Joining the hellebore club.
Remember the better you prepare the hole the better your plant will be
07/04/2013 at 14:46

Any particular tips, verdun?

07/04/2013 at 14:59

I bought alovely deep pinky pirple one from an honesty table outside a cottage. i have just plonked it in, oh dear have I done it wrong, it is in moist shade but that's it. 

Having seen them im large clumps they really look good don't they at times when there isn't much else. Next winter season may go into them in more detail

As for multi tasking - i know FG

07/04/2013 at 16:00

Im part way through watching one of my favourite DVD's - Alan Titchmarsh's 'How To Be A Gardener' series. I usually watch it each spring for some inspiration.

07/04/2013 at 16:05
Verdun wrote (see)
Hey Fairygirl,

Verdun, I never replied to your query about the colour of my new Ashwood Hellebore. Well it's a lovely double white one. Not a colour I've already got. Now am having to wait to see if anything else shows itself in the gap that I plan to use in my Ashwood bed. We need some serious rain up here. Everywhere is very dry & the soil too dry for me to safely try digging without doing more damage to my arm!. J.

08/04/2013 at 06:39

Morning all, It looks like the nice weather shifted over to Englanf yesterday. So wind cloud and probably rain later, not the best.

Think I will go for some more seed sowing as most of my current seedlings are through and just need good light and a little patience.

Also need to figure out what is going in my new beds... 

08/04/2013 at 06:41

Morning all.  No frost   Just been to inspect the greenhouse and all my babies survived their first night outside.  Off to work today - but might just squeeze in a lunchtime expedition to GC ...

08/04/2013 at 06:48

Good morning all - it's a bit overcast here this morning, but dry   Think we've got rain forecast for the weekend, so will try to get on with some gardening in the evenings, but I don't get home until around 6.30 so that doesn't give me a lot of time at the moment.  

But, looking on the bright side, this is the last summer I'll have to fit the gardening into weekends - did I mention I'm retiring?  I shall cross off some more days on the calendar at work today 

08/04/2013 at 08:11

Dove- wish I was retiring ! No you never mentioned it... 

Verdun wrote (see)
Hey Fairygirl,

Sound advice Verdun -as always! I tried to put a pic on here from my phone but didn't manage it but once it's planted and I get camera organised I'll get  one. It's a very nice white, but I could easily have gone mad at the nursery and bought dozens! It's a huge place and they supply a lot of GCs etc all over the country. Fatal if you have any spare cash and even worse if you don't! 

08/04/2013 at 08:40

Good morning,

I'm a bit worried about going on this site in case I catch the lurgy but if I wash my hands afterwards perhaps I'll be okay  Hope those suffering get well soon.

Yes it seems as though I've joined the 'Hellebore Club'. I read in at the weekend that they have been out of fashion but are now the plant to have, rather like dahlias. We don't like to think we are influenced by fahion or advertising but I'm sure we are.

08/04/2013 at 09:16

Good morning, all. Off to get more pots and compost for my seedlings - such fun! Have a great day!

08/04/2013 at 09:20
Morning folks
Fairygirl is getting classier now she's into hellebores! Pottie Pam too.
Wise of you to wash your hands pottie Pam...the lurgy is not nice. Can't remember one as nasty as this one
Weather is cloudy and damp and dark...sunny tomorrow then
Hey, where's Brumbull?
08/04/2013 at 10:01

Morning Everyone.

No weather here - just 10/10 cloud. Have exciting stuff today - launderette, tip etc.  Have not sown anything except a few tom. seeds last week. Keep peering to see if anything's happened. Not yet

Enjoy your gardens when you get to them

08/04/2013 at 10:09

Morning all. Going to England tomorrow No computer so won't be posting for next 10 days.

Must prepare bedroom for house sitter, wash floors, sort fridge, write list for house sitter. Re-fence bit round hoses hay, do a bit of planting that I haven't got round to eg parsley in bigger pot etc.

08/04/2013 at 10:13

Goodmorning all.

Dove, I love the fact that being retired I can do everything at my leisure, which means lots of teabreaks whilst I sit and view my handiwork. Motor bike been removed by the way!

Bit of a cold wind out there but am hoping the sun will come out to warm it up. Am going to try and be good to myself today and not do anything too strenuous as, after yesterday's marathon, could have done with a stannalift to get upstairs last night.

08/04/2013 at 15:17

Verdun- getting more classy? Not possible.....

I could easily have blown my entire extension budget at that nursery yesterday...I was very restrained!  Quite proud of myself really...now what could I reward myself with!!!

I love the dark hellebores but as I love dark plants in  general it's not surprising. I have a great little bit for them just now nut sadly that's the bit where the extension's going so I don't want to put any more in just now. I'll content myself with making lots of plans instead!

Tina- adding a downstairs bedroom so I won't need the stairlift! 

08/04/2013 at 15:48

Fairygirl.  I was born and grew up in a bungalow.  Always wanted one but too many kids, sorry children. Would still like one, but the thought of the upheaval of moving puts me right off.  Also, I can't take my garden with me. I'll just have to continue to go up the stairs on my hands and knees.  Just cut the grass and redone all the edges as they forecast rain tomorrow.  Will I never learn?

08/04/2013 at 16:15

There's no pleasing everyone, Tina! I live in a bungalow and think it feels like a shoe box, although it is reasonably spacious. I was glad of it when I broke my foot, but otherwise, give me a house every time. But, as you say, you can't take your garden with you. Or, in my case, I'd want to dig up all the plants and take them with me!