London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
08/04/2013 at 16:31

GG, when my Dad died, I took loads of plants from his garden.  Had no idea what they were called and many I still don't.  I never knew I grew hellebores until Verdun kept on about them and I googled what they were.  Have been growing them for 27 years!

08/04/2013 at 16:38

Tina-you've done more than I have today! I dismantled a wardrobe and moved furniture yesterday so I'm a bit sore. About to go for a walk then make soup though!

I took some plants when I moved but I've had to leave so much stuff in various places as I've had rather a lot of moves in the last few years! Rabbits ate all the irises and iceplants but I managed to rescue a few things. Wish I'd taken a few more things from the garden before the new buyers moved in as they caused a lot of problems with the sale! I used to buy a plant on the birthdays of my 2 girls and I'd like to do that again-as long as I get to choose the plants! 

08/04/2013 at 16:49

FG, I think that every time I get a bouquet (not that often, then!) - why didn't they give me a voucher for the garden centre?

08/04/2013 at 17:15
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

FG, I think that every time I get a bouquet (not that often, then!) - why didn't they give me a voucher for the garden centre?

08/04/2013 at 17:46

Fairygirl, I went out in the garden to vent my anger! I'm sure you know what over. Wonderful therap.  Would have done more if my body would have let me.  Looks lovely now, (not my body - the garden).

Mine know not to buy me cut flowers as I don't take care of them and always moan about getting the vases out.  Would much rather have a plant for the garden.  At least it lasts for more than a couple of days.

Not gardening, but son and girlfriend making choc chip cookies.  Have just said what a lot of washing up they will have to do.  With the amount of ingredients they are using, they could have got about 4 packets from Morrisons.  I won't even be able to test them either.

08/04/2013 at 18:38

I'm glad you think I'm classy, Verdun, but I've got a confession, I've also got lots of hydrangea and apparently they are not fashionable now.

I've been filling a bit more of my raised bed that I made out of railway sleepers. Ive been using compost which is mostly horse poo so I think I'll have to put a layer of bought compost on top. I'll have to get cracking I'm sure we'll get a heat wave soon.

Are raised beds another fashion fad? I'm sure  they were no such things until recently.

I agree with TinaT. Gardening is  a wonderful therapy. No good sitting down simmering about things. 

08/04/2013 at 18:54

Think the raised beds are a reaction to the excessive rain. Plus it helps when soil is generally bad. 

08/04/2013 at 19:00

It also means you can grow stuff where nothing much would previously grow, creating depth of soil and drainage. We had a horrid broken concrete path along the side of our bungalow. We put in raised beds and a slab and shingle path and, hey presto, it looks great, though the broken concrete is still there. (We did create drainage).

08/04/2013 at 19:23

Pam - but I love hydrangeas !!  Collecting them like hellebores now - I've got a blue one, and a white one, and a red one, and some pinky long flowered ones and a couple that don't grow flowers so much as footballs !

09/04/2013 at 06:40

Morning everyone - am I really the first up?

Cuppa first - then GH check.  Managed a trip to the GC yesterday lunchtime - cane out with yet more bags of compost (where does it all go) and propagator lids.  Was tempted by white foxgloves - kept telling myself I could grow them from seed.  But then I won't get flowers til next year.  And these ones looked so big and healthy .....

Can feel a return trip coming on.

Enjoy your days, everyone

09/04/2013 at 06:53

Morning all - well you're the first on here this morning Chicky - I was busy dealing with a query on wormcasts on someone's lawn.

Go on, just one or two (three would look better) lovely white foxgloves - then they can self-seed everywhere - job done 

09/04/2013 at 07:06

Go on chicky-Dove's right. 3 would be lovely 

Work then see what the weather's doing. More seeds to sow and a few things to re pot. will find somewhere to plant the white broom I bought and geta walk too.

Have a good all 

09/04/2013 at 07:10

morning ladies think i definately need foxgloves

09/04/2013 at 07:46

Yes, hope Verdun's feeling better now that Spring is really here 

09/04/2013 at 07:52

Brum- it's all that time he spends on his throne that's the problem.. 

Getting my coat right now.....

Rain heading in for tomorrow in the south and west I hear and headin 'oop north' for Thursday which- I hate to say-we're needing 

Blackest-foxgloves-good shout. The pale ones are very nice 

Hope everyone's lurgy will diminish with the ever lightening skies 

09/04/2013 at 07:55

Morning all. Nothing to add this morning except - Have a great day!

09/04/2013 at 07:56

Hi all

my foxgloves haven't stirred yet, still a rosette at ground level. I love the white ones with the brown footprints inside.

09/04/2013 at 08:14

I've got seeds for a beautiful looking white foxglove, but I'm a bit suspicious of biennials - 2 years before you get any flowers and then they die on you. I'm wondering about the perennial ones - developed by T and M, incidentally. The pink ones look great.

09/04/2013 at 08:20
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Hi all

my foxgloves haven't stirred yet, still a rosette at ground level. I love the white ones with the brown footprints inside.

Nut-I love the idea of 'footprints'. They're made by us fairies you know..

09/04/2013 at 08:37
Morni g FORKERS.
Chicky restrain yourself. Keep away from GC.....It will severely damage your wallet
Blue hydrangeas are everywhere in Cornwall....grow wild almost...but in my garden soil is wrong for them so grow pink one. Woulld like a white called Anabelle.
How kind that Brumbulls putting a brave face on my lurgy...I guess he will survive. Ha na
Fairygirl, fairies don't exist....don't believe in stuff like that. Er, what do fairy prints look like then, just out of,curiousity? Anyway, I dont believe you are a fairy. Er, you're not.........are you?