London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
121 to 140 of 6,191 messages
20/03/2013 at 08:28

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20189.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

This is my greenhouse this morning you can just about see the frost on the roof still a bit chilly inside at 10 degrees C but the minimum temperature inside was 1 degree C last night The grass at the back is covered in frost and my car has big lumps of ice on the bonnet so as you can tell it wouldn't have been a goodnight for my seedlings had they been outside and not in the greenhouse.

20/03/2013 at 08:53

I still love this thread especially on days like this. Its snowing again in Sheffield and the ground is rock solid from another severe frost. I am itching to be outside doing stuff but instead I am at the computer looking at on line catalogues and trying to work out where I can find space for more seeds.

In the words of the song things can only get better 

20/03/2013 at 09:22
Agreed nigelcoad....and we have a red hot summer coming up. I can sense it..................
20/03/2013 at 09:42

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20191.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

The Suns not so far away here it is in Ireland this morning

20/03/2013 at 09:56

Morning all, Off to really big GC fro the day, good food, lots to look at and wide selection of plants - will have t watch the purse strings

20/03/2013 at 10:40

Know how you feel Rosa.

Blackest, what a tremendous posting with info about greenhouses. Thanks so much for the info - it really provoked a lot of thought.

20/03/2013 at 10:53

Hope you are right Verdun. I think we had our Summer about this time last year then it all went downhill so maybe after such a long winter we will have a decent Summer.

20/03/2013 at 10:58
blackest wrote (see)
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20191.jpg?width=350

The Suns not so far away here it is in Ireland this morning

Now that's just not fair, send some east to me, no heavy rain so far but that horrible misty rain stuff that gets you wet before you notice. You go in for a cup of tea and realise you're soaked I hope we have a summer this year, be nice for a change!!!!

20/03/2013 at 11:41

Morning all, just,  you get up before the birds Gardening Grandma,  the last time I saw those times was when I was working,  I have taken down the Gh I had in the kitchen and put it back outside and put a fleece cover on it like the other one,  the plantlets in the first one seem to be doing fine so hopefully the new ones will be OK.

This time last year my temps were in the low teens,  April managed to get into the mid 20's May was very warm again in the low teens then in came June and the rest is history 

20/03/2013 at 14:23

Ah the glorious memory of temperatures in the 20's - it was back in 1976! It's still only 2degrees here in the west of scotland -might have to put long trousers on instead of me shorts! I am kidding... A co worker said to me last year, after forecasters predicted an Indian summer, 'yes but they didn' t tell us we'd have to go to India to get it'. How true! Mind those garden centres girls!

20/03/2013 at 17:24

Welcome back Brumbull. I thought you'd left us. I've enjoyed reading your posts and it would have been a great shame if this silly upset had forced you to leave the forum. This is a good thread and lots of nice sounding peple have joined it.

20/03/2013 at 18:34

Ah welcome back Brumbull  I was so upset last night to read you weren't going to post again and as a result I was determind to carry on posting here to keep it try to keep the thread going. This was the first general chit chat forum I'd joined in and never in my wildest dreams could I imagine it would come to an abrupt end purely because of a word used in the title 

Anyway today I've taken some cuttings from two geraniums I'd put in the garage in the Autumn. Not sure if it's the right time or if I've done it right but hey ho I'll soon find out wont I? My logic was that things are starting to spring into life and I thought now probably is a good time to do it. As I've said before I'm a novice at this gardening milarkey but enjoying finding out what works and what doesn't 

20/03/2013 at 18:50

I have to agree Tattianna. Surely we all have a common interest in gardening or we wouldn't be on here in the first place. I'm sure your little cuttings will do fine - as you say - have a go cos you never know what might happen! I've got one sitting in the kitchen right now which I need to move but I think might take a little cutting now too! Talk about living dangerously!

20/03/2013 at 19:03
Hey, Brumbull, welcome back
20/03/2013 at 19:23

Brumbull, I'm so glad you are back. I tried to pm you yesterday but couldn't so it is great to be able to say how much I appreciate your contributions to this forum.

20/03/2013 at 19:28
Yes Brumbull, kept out of mischief......I think. Ha ha
20/03/2013 at 20:24

Well I'm off to wrap up for the very cold night we're expecting here. Tomorrow I'm going to do a couple of cuttings from that geranium! They're not my favourite plants but I used one for a particular purpose and I've become quite attached to it! It might help me feel spring could be round the corner. Simple pleasures. Night night forkers. Hope you all sleep well.

20/03/2013 at 20:48

blackest, really cool looking greenhouse, not seen one like that before

20/03/2013 at 21:09

Thanks Brumbull and fairygirl for the advice re my geranium cuttings.I'm actually feeling a ikle bit smug at the minute because I took the cuttings in the way you suggested Brumbull except I didn't cover them with a bag but I'll get onto that straight away  just goes to show what you pick up reading these boards.

You know you lot may very well make a gardener out of me yet  

20/03/2013 at 21:37

Brumbell,  I just love that hanging basket you have for your avatar,  is it one you grew, I can make out the petunia's what else do you have in it ?

121 to 140 of 6,191 messages