London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
12/05/2013 at 20:48

Blackest. You really don't know how bad at IT some of us are.  I have no idea hoe to put a link into a post! Could someone who knows how to do it start a thread please

13/05/2013 at 06:30

Morning - seems I am first on this morning !

Eldest daughter has first GCSE exam this morning - wish  her luck !   This is the first of many - looking like it will be a long month

Put my button on the map ....

13/05/2013 at 06:39

Morning all good luck to your daughter chicky in her exams weather poor just had a heavy hail stone downpour this weather is getting beyond a joke now. Well everything fine in garden & greenhouses so am off to work and see what my little angels are up to at the school no doubt i will get a laugh as always just love the job.

13/05/2013 at 07:02

Morning Chick and Andy. Mine both have an exam on Wed- older one's first uni exam.  Youngest started last week- seems happy enough so far.We have Standard/Intermediate grades up here chick which are the GCSE equivalent. I know what you mean about a long month! Good luck to your daughter-it's a tense time.

Hit and miss weather here so not sure if there's much to do outside.

Have a good day Andy-when is spring coming do you think....

13/05/2013 at 07:41

Morning folks.

Exams seem to be the issue today so good luck to all involved...takes me back a bit

Will look at this map thread.....sounds interesting.

Weather looks ok......think there will be sunny spells at least.....sunny SPELLS Fairygirl?

13/05/2013 at 08:06

No sun here Verd-hailstones....

I'll get me wand......

13/05/2013 at 08:12

Morning all,

Grey morning here,and has just started to rain,I guess another day in the greenhouse.

Good luck to everyone taking exams.

13/05/2013 at 08:18

Good morning all  Sunny here in Norfolk at the moment, but with some heavy clouds hanging about. I've got today off work  

I need to get my hoe out, lots of little green weeds appearing all over the place 

Nut. at long last I've got some signs of life in my seedtrays - some of the foxglove seeds you sent me have seed leaves  and there is a sign of life with the codonopsis too   I can see everything kicking off just as we're ready to go away at the end of next week   I can see my neighbour is in for a long lecture about her watering duties 

13/05/2013 at 08:22

Can you wave your wand over Somerset Fairygirl?it is absolutely pouring now!

13/05/2013 at 08:27

No prob GillyL.....*********

How's that 

It's not working here I'm afraid....needs a service...

Off to work now- catch up later 

Have a good day all 

13/05/2013 at 08:31

Good morning everyone! I felt moved to say hi as I've been reading your threads for a little while now and it's such a warm and supportive community. 

I am fairly new to gardening but I love it already! I have moved into a house previously owned by a very keen gardener so I have inherited great planting schemes and really unusual plants. Quite a responsibility to keep it going!

Everything is finally bursting into life which is wonderful to see

Have a good day everyone 

13/05/2013 at 08:33

Thanks Fairygirl,I,ll just wait for the fairy dust to settle and then go outside,

Have a good day at work.

13/05/2013 at 08:34

Hello Pamela

You sound like you have inherited a wonderful garden,what unusual plants do you have?

13/05/2013 at 08:35

Morning Pamela14

Welcome to the forum

Dont rush into changing things in your new garden...best to take stock during the summer and enjoy it.

Sunny here in sunny Cornwall

13/05/2013 at 08:45

morning Verdun

Perhaps Fairygirl waved her wand a little too far to the south,could you send some of the sunshine back towards Somerset please.

13/05/2013 at 08:45

Hi GillyL!

I'm not sure what some of them are. The previous owner was very keen on collecting different varieties of things like hellebores, many different roses and clematis. There's an ammsonia (?) which took ages to identify, and different varieties of epimedium - beautiful this spring once I read about cutting back the leaves . I have myrtles which sadly have been blasted by the frost as has a mexican sunbush - but they look like they are making a recovery. Rhododendrons (when is a rhodie an azalea?!), the most fragrant daphne I have ever come across and lots of camellias.

I am going for a cottage garden look with foxgloves, aquilegia etc as well as herbs and soft fruit. I am keen to get a veggie garden going but I'm not really sure how to get started on that. Hubby is v keen so maybe I can pass that project on to him!

KEF
13/05/2013 at 08:46

Good Morning. Chilly & light rain here, so I'd better get dressed before the morning inspection. Hoping my toms have greened up!

Good luck to all exam kids.

Hello new folks.

Loving the "Daftest thing" posts.

Enjoy your day everyone.

13/05/2013 at 08:51

Pamela,your garden sounds wonderful!,a cottage garden is always so pretty,I try for that look too .I also grow veg but only in various containers,pots,beans,carrots,salad crops etc.

Just enjoy your new garden ,I,m sure other new plants will emerge during the course of the year so you may get a few more welcome surprises!.

13/05/2013 at 08:55

Welcome Pamela - your garden sounds lovely   - what an adventure - and you've mentioned two of the magic words - hellebores and aquilegias - some real enthusiasts on here 

As for the veg patch - the trick there is to enthuse the undergardener to take on the heavy work, and for you to take the much more onerous responsibility of supervision and direction    I find promises of cake work very well 

13/05/2013 at 09:04

Thanks all - great advice, especially Dovefromabove! We moved in in August 2011. The first year was taken up with tidying up and planning our wedding, unpacking boxes and managing to fit in work too!

Summer 2012 and this spring have been a revelation with so many surprises popping up in the garden. Apparently we have fritillaries- didn't see them last year.

I think my favourite job has to be pruning - I'm ruthless and it's so cathartic!

A friend helped to remove a particularly evil and diseased kiftsgate rose which was great fun. However, it has left the overgrown rhodie it was growing through somewhat decimated! has anyone got advice about how hard to prune a rhodie for regeneration and control?