London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
19 messages
05/03/2014 at 15:17

I've just tried mussels for the first time and now that we've got a big bowl of empty shells I wondered if anyone had ideas on what I can use them for in the garden. My only thought was to crush them and sprinkle round the plants that the slugs like, same as I do with egg shells. But I wondered if there were other uses.

05/03/2014 at 17:05

DD..........you can incorporate them into windchimes but make sure you use a small enough drill to make the holes.

Alternatively, if you have a single plant in a pot, you can arrange the shells in a pattern around the base of the plant.

Crushed up mussel shells can be incorporated in compost or used as a mulch around grit loving plants. 

05/03/2014 at 17:38

I made a  5 storey insect hotel from wooden pallets and then made a roof garden which I planted with sedums so the flowers would attract insects.  I used a gravel mulch to finish it off with assorted seashells, including mussels, upturned so they would catch rain water for the insects.  You could do something similar in a sink garden or some other container.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38957.jpg?width=350

05/03/2014 at 17:49

Obelixx............that is a seriously good Insect Hotel..............do you find it better at ground level rather than a suspended one ?  I'm looking for various options ........high and low.......

05/03/2014 at 19:46

Good for chickens when crushed.

IMO windchimes are a thing of awfulness if you have to live next door to them.  Maybe that's just me!

05/03/2014 at 19:50
Crush them and use them to stop the slugs
05/03/2014 at 20:28

obelix; can we give this insect hotel a good rating on these travel websites? It looks sooo smart.

Edd
05/03/2014 at 20:35

Just booked my wine weevils into that one for a long stay. 

05/03/2014 at 20:40

Edd & Artjak

05/03/2014 at 21:13

Cockle shells, crab carapaces and other marine mollusc shells (whelks etc) would all serve equally were as mini-reservoirs for visiting insects, birds etc through the summer months! I can't spare the full pallet 'footprint' in my limited mid-terrace garden. However, I might contrive something similar but in a vertical sense with the pallet rawl-bolted to a limestone boundary wall on the south side of the plot...?

05/03/2014 at 21:20

OOh David, can we see pics?

05/03/2014 at 21:41

obelixx...I've a picket line of ladybirds now demanding better living accommodation...

05/03/2014 at 23:37

Thank you for all the kind comments.  I have a big enough garden with pasture to that side and arable land behind which get a certain amount of chemicals so I garden organically and have been doing what I can to help birds and insects insects, especially bees. 

The birds and probably some rodents have been picking at the pine cones and sticks so it all needs refilling this spring ready for the next lot of résidents.

Edd
06/03/2014 at 07:58

I love the idea of using the wall David but i would like to inset it to make a feature like this.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTw34l-kJNto1M_NW8JrJ6Z-mjmpAq0tIh_qyfcIPOSPE2dUBTK

http://www.devonwildlifetrust.org/i/.resized_200x161_Bug_hotel.jpg

I'm back to the vertical gardening thing again aren't i.

06/03/2014 at 09:18

Friends of mine have tucked this under a conifer hedge :-

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38981.jpg?width=350

You can also tuck insect shelters into walls and crevices and I saw a garden at Chelsea where a dividing and seating wall within a garden incorporated blocks for insect homes, a bit like in Edd's photo but more organic in form.   Gabons could also be used if stuffed with appropriate material and they come in all sizes, even ones small enough to hang on a wall.

Edd
06/03/2014 at 10:03

What are Gabons obelixx please. All i can find is a sovereign state on the west coast of Central Africa. Lol

06/03/2014 at 10:22

Typo - gabions are metal cages which are usually stuffed with stones or pebbles and used to make reinforcing walls.  They've been adopted by garden designers who fill them wit all sorts of materials for different effects and use them as seating, dividing walls, structural support for terracing and so on but I've also seen small ones hung as hanging baskets with aeoniums in pots.   Just have to use your imagination.

06/03/2014 at 19:08

My 'Hanging Pallet of Pembroke Dock' is only at the 'bright idea' stage yetawhile, Artjak! d.v. I'll make my initial moves soon and will definitely record progress with the project as it develops.

*Really appreciate the pics of the other very inventive settings for the other "Ladybird Hotels" - I feel somewhat envious at present as my pallet is still in its 'natural' state in the garage/ workshop awaiting surgery!

08/03/2014 at 18:30

Many thanks for all your suggestions . Have them outside for the weather to take some of the smell away before I start crunching them. Watch out slugs , here I come!

email image
19 messages