Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mussel shell uses

I've just tried mussels for the first time and now that we've got a big bowl of empty shells I wondered if anyone had ideas on what I can use them for in the garden. My only thought was to crush them and sprinkle round the plants that the slugs like, same as I do with egg shells. But I wondered if there were other uses.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I made a  5 storey insect hotel from wooden pallets and then made a roof garden which I planted with sedums so the flowers would attract insects.  I used a gravel mulch to finish it off with assorted seashells, including mussels, upturned so they would catch rain water for the insects.  You could do something similar in a sink garden or some other container.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Good for chickens when crushed.

IMO windchimes are a thing of awfulness if you have to live next door to them.  Maybe that's just me!

• Crush them and use them to stop the slugs
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

obelix; can we give this insect hotel a good rating on these travel websites?image It looks sooo smart.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Edd & Artjakimageimage

• WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575

Cockle shells, crab carapaces and other marine mollusc shells (whelks etc) would all serve equally were as mini-reservoirs for visiting insects, birds etc through the summer months! I can't spare the full pallet 'footprint' in my limited mid-terrace garden. However, I might contrive something similar but in a vertical sense with the pallet rawl-bolted to a limestone boundary wall on the south side of the plot...?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

OOh David, can we see pics?

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

obelixx...I've a picket line of ladybirds now demanding better living accommodation...image

Thank you for all the kind comments.  I have a big enough garden with pasture to that side and arable land behind which get a certain amount of chemicals so I garden organically and have been doing what I can to help birds and insects insects, especially bees. 

The birds and probably some rodents have been picking at the pine cones and sticks so it all needs refilling this spring ready for the next lot of résidents.

"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

Friends of mine have tucked this under a conifer hedge :-

You can also tuck insect shelters into walls and crevices and I saw a garden at Chelsea where a dividing and seating wall within a garden incorporated blocks for insect homes, a bit like in Edd's photo but more organic in form.   Gabons could also be used if stuffed with appropriate material and they come in all sizes, even ones small enough to hang on a wall.

Plato