Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

My nuts are floating :(

So after figuring out that I have a few hazel nuts in the garden I went out today and thought I would collect a few before the squirrels get them all. I collected them from the ground and took the green covering off as I thought that was how you collect them. They have only just fallen and are fresh in that sense. However now I put them in water as I think maybe one or two will float and like any eggs if they float I presume they are bad and throw them out. But almost all of the nuts float via about 4. Is this the reason the squirrels have left them on the ground, as they know they are off also? Should I pick them straight from the tree instead? Any now that I have collected them do I just let them dry naturally and then eat them or do I need to roast them? So many questions.­

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Eat some fresh, they are delicious. If they are empty, that is probably why the squirrels have left them alone.
  • So just an update after posting this. ALL the nuts that were floating were empty inside and the few that did sink were amazing. I guess next time i should pick them from the tree and see if my luck improves. image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Yes Nicky, squirrels can tell whether there is a good nut inside so pick them direct from the tree yourself to have a better chance.  A couple of years ago all the nuts from my hazel disappeared in just 24h thanks to squirrels - they seem to wait until the perfect time and then snatch the lot!  None of the ones left on the ground had anything inside. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933

a painful man problem that is  ' floating nuts ' imageimage

Sorry couldn't resistimageimage

• Granma, I was watching this thread just to see the wisecracks - I know nothing about nuts. image

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

My nuts are floating!

Get out of the bath

• Pat EPat E Posts: 12,316

I'm getting confused!  What is Phytic acid?  hubby can't eat hazel nuts - is this the connection?  Maybe his Irish ancestry passed down faulty hazelnut genes, whereas my Wiltshire genes seem to be resistant.image

S. E. NSW
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 12,316

Ta,Runnubimage

S. E. NSW