Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

My Perfumed Bristol Garden in 2016.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and welcome to my new thread.  Having been saddened by the plight of our pollinating insects and being fond of growing my own fruit and vegetables I have resolved to do my utmost to encourage as many as possible into my garden.  As I get great pleasure from my sense of smell and touch still, despite, at 87, fading eyesight, hearing and taste, I shall concentrate on scent and touch in my planting this year. 

The year has started with a change in the weather.  Only 3degrees this morning at 7o'clock so my greenhouse heater had switched itself on.  Forecast is for rain later and only 8 degrees which is quite a contrast from the 14 we have been having.

I was greeted by the lovely perfume from my Xmas hyacinths sitting in the kitchen by the bowl of bought fruit I indulge in from the shops only once a year.  The Charles Ross apples up my garden are not as pretty as these "Pink Lady" but taste better!  

Two of these very large hyacinth bulbs are showing their second spike.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Good morning Marion, Happy New Year!

I have been waiting with much excitement to the start of your new thread, like Snow I am really looking forward to hearing about and seeing your lovely photos on your  Perfumed Garden...... and as always learning alot from all your wealth of knowledge.

Thank you!x

• Happy new year Marion looking forward to your new thread ????????????

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Happy New Year Marionimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Happy new year Marion - I agree, I'm not impressed by Pink Lady apples image

Really looking forward to this thread - I love scented flowers image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Happy new Year image

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117
    Happy New Year Marion : ), I like your title : ), really looking forward to another enjoyable year with you, there's not one day I don't look at your thread Evan if it's just reading it on my dinner hour. Looking forward to seeing your perfumed corner : ).

I like your owl Marion : )

First question of the year, is it to early Marion to start growing my sweet pea seeds indoor?? : )
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Just the right time for sowing your sweet peas, flumpy.  Any earlier this year and they would be very lanky plants as it has been so mild.  Turkey and roast potatoes in oven, just sprouts and broccoli to do now and gravy to make. as I have already done mashed carrots and potatoes to go in microwave.  Table to set before my six visitors arrive and get into my glad rags.  Wine in fridge and dessert all ready.