1 to 20 of 38 messages
20/07/2014 at 03:59

I thought I would start a thread for all those on this site who either have or dream about having a tropical garden. Let's see what comes of it.

20/07/2014 at 07:38

Rain, yes we have loads of that. But in this so-called heatwave, our maximum temperature for one day was only 25 degrees. Other than that, today we are struggling to reach 22. December will see months of freezing fog and/or snow. There is no chance in my lifetime of a tropical garden where I live, unless climate change gets a move on.

I do have a couple of weedy orchids on the windowsill, gifts from friends and family over the years, but they would never make anyone think of the tropics if they looked at them.

20/07/2014 at 07:52

Would love to see some photos of tropical gardens, too cold up north for one....

20/07/2014 at 07:54

I've a couple of orchids from Ikea on windowsills; I think that is the nearest I'll get to a tropical garden I love the English Garden look too much!

20/07/2014 at 08:01

Ikea! Is that where they got them.

I like my garden - I like being able to sit down on the grass and not think I'm going to be bitten by something poisonous.  I don't think I'd want to swap that for extra foliage and flowers. There is a lot to be said for our wishy washy climate.

20/07/2014 at 08:31

Pansy, I've got a few from ikea, also tescos, they are great value and have lasted years. Also had 2 from a proper ochid nursery which didn't last anywhere near as well and where quite expensive.

Would love bouganvillea (spelling) but otherwise love our english garden look like artjak.

20/07/2014 at 08:33

It can be done - here in Norwich there is an amazing exotic garden  http://www.exoticgarden.com/ 

20/07/2014 at 08:38

Good lord! Is there an out-of-shot, EdenProject-like canopy?

20/07/2014 at 08:53
I dont know why but tropical gardens, especially jungle gardens always seem very masculine to me, thats not a bad thing, i spose its because the ones you see on tv always seem to be by men, odd!
I grew some banannas from seed a few years ago, they were my pride and joy, put them out with fatsias, it looked lovely, but i got bored!
I did like the gardens in the bio dome at the Eden project, maybe they have to be on that scale to look right?
20/07/2014 at 09:30

Will Giles garden is amazing.  It looks like a late summer trip.!!!

20/07/2014 at 09:35

That sounds like a good idea Fidget 

KEF
20/07/2014 at 09:48

Wow, thanks for the link Dove

20/07/2014 at 09:54
I've got several palms of different types, shapes and sizes, red and green cordylines, lots of different shape and size aloe plants and two banana plants.

I've taken most of my inspiration from holidays in Greece. My two latest aloes came back in my suitcase from there

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it all looks in a year or two
20/07/2014 at 10:02

I see The exotic garden in Norwich is now open Saturdays and Sundays until October.

His blog says he has a 6ft Salvia Amistad as they had no frost last year.  I saw some at 3 ft last year and they were pretty amazing, 6 ft is mind blowing.

I'm going to take cuttings from the new Salvias I got this year,and then leave the parent plants in the garden to see how hardy they are. A Winter like last year and they will survive. Normal years I would expect frost by November.

20/07/2014 at 10:13

I've seen that garden and it is incredible

20/07/2014 at 12:35
In Eltham. SE London. Friday & Saturday outside temp. 34 deg. C. For the past few years. The feeling amongst those keeping an eye on things is. That soon, due to climate change etc. Many of us will changing over to Mediterranean style gardens.
20/07/2014 at 21:00

Well that is a good start. Several of you have asked for a photo of a tropical garden and i would like to oblige but I can't get it to upload. Help welcome.

20/07/2014 at 21:36

Maybe this will work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianfraser/14515526169/

20/07/2014 at 22:10

Inglezinho, that link does not work for me. If you are using a computer as opposed to a smart phone you click on the tree icon above your text and choose a photo and follow the simple instructions. If you still have problems, there are some real technocrats on the forum who could advise you (I'm not one of them)

20/07/2014 at 22:33

..I think the concept of tropical gardens as we tend to understand it here, ought to be redefined... why should it be presented as large foliage plants, like Bananas, Palms of various sorts, huge Tree Ferns and similar.. Bamboos..and other exotics...? 

...that most of us, I think, probably wouldn't want to grow...when in fact, many of us are already gardening with sub-tropicals, with our half hardy annuals...Pelargoniums...tender perennials from places like Mexico, California or Southern Europe... you could even have a cottage type garden trying tender Tea roses [not hybrid teas], mixed with these tenderlings...plus some borderline hardy shrubs, things like Pittosporums Tobira or Eugenioides... some Euphorbias...Ceanothus from California...Diascia rigescens...tender Fuchsias...Brugmansias..

...see what I mean...?

..however, what I think you mean does already exist here but mostly in Cornwall, where the latest addition is a work in progress at a place called 'Tremenheere' near Penzance...

http://www.tremenheere.co.uk/explore/planting

..in one of the photos you will see a Dasylirion quadrangulatum, which is hardy to -10c... and I notice features at the East Ruston garden in Norfolk,  that some members went to the other day...photo on that thread...

...this sort of tropical gardening isn't my cup of tea, although it's fun to look at when abroad in such places as Australia or South Pacific islands for instance..

..I think you're in Brazil..Inglezinho..that right?   be fun to see your garden if you can upload the pictures... it's a bit of a palaver at the best of times....don't give up...

1 to 20 of 38 messages