Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mysterious hole appearance in the soil.

DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

A small deep hole about 7cm across has appeared in the soil in my garden. There is no evidence of a mole so I'm wondering what has been burying under the earth.  Has anyone any ideas?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Might be a rat I'm afraid.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Rat does seem te most likely.

In the sticks near Peterborough
    Big hole for a mouse.
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Hope it's no a hippopotamus.image

Hippopotamouse?
  • Monty Don?

Well, mythical creatures are probably not the culprits! I have intermittent problems with rats, but living in a semi rural area, I've got quite pragmatic about it.

Do you feed birds by any chance? The reason that I'm asking is that spilled bird food can attract rats as an easy source of food.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I fear it is a rat; one year my beetroot did not grow; the neighbours who were watering the garden when I was away working reckoned that it was a rat; same size hole and beetroot apparently do not like the movement of the earth involved with underground rat runs. Near the bird feeders the same sized holes appeared and I'm afraid that I resort to rat poison about once a year - this is where flowers are grown, not veg.image