London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
2 messages
16/08/2013 at 20:13

Hello,

I have a mystery on my hands concerning something that I found growing close to the rear of my house recently, there is a piece of spare ground which has gathered the usual amount of discarded plant material.

There are a couple of rose stems rising out of the undergrowth which look quite healthy, except for one or two of the top leaves which have been invaded by something I can only describe as 'alien' I am a retired gardener, and in all my 50 years in the job I never came across anything like the following.

There are several of them on the top leaves of the rose, they consist of bright red hairy growths approx 3 quarters of an inch across with many spikes radiating from the top of the leaf, they seem to have penetrated the leaf, as there are what appear to be roots dangling underneath the leaf which are approx half an inch long.

I would like to know exactly what these strange things are, and I would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me as to what I have seen.

Regards!

G.C.Walker...

16/08/2013 at 20:16

Hi Graham, try googling 'robin's pincushion'. Think you'll find some pix and info there of what you're describing! 

email image
2 messages