London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
17 messages
08/03/2013 at 15:27

Help, any advice for a NGS virgin? Am mightily worried about this as many months ago I thought that it would be a great time to open my garden on 7th April which I now realise is very early-and apparently there is snow coming I have a later day in summer but any tips would be great

08/03/2013 at 16:15

I would say that as your garden has been accepted for the scheme you have nothing serious to worry about. Treat this year as a learning year - you'll get plenty of feedback and tips. Good luck, sparkly!

08/03/2013 at 17:12

Thanks

08/03/2013 at 17:32

Are you selling tea and cake? - that always goes down well with me
And good luck with the weather!

08/03/2013 at 18:19

Yes, good luck, Sparkly. You must have a very good garden to have  been accepted and most people will be delighted to look and chat to you and get their nice tea. I certainly would! There are always picky people, but that's true of anything where you are dealing with human beings. Have a lovely time!

08/03/2013 at 18:41
Good luck to all entering, it would be lovely to see some photos of your hard work.
08/03/2013 at 18:46

Don't panic.

You've still got 4 weeks. We opened on the last sunday in March for years and the plants never let us down. One year we were snowed in the previous Monday and it still all went fine on the following Sunday

08/03/2013 at 18:47

Hello sparklygardener  We have opened our garden 5 times now and all being well will open again on July 21st this year

I had a nose in my yellow book and your garden sounds really lovely - probably the exact opposite style to ours though  We are no.44 in Surrey in the yellow book .

Whoever visited your garden and accepted you into the NGS must have loved it - as will your visitors I am sure

I was very nervous the first time we opened and a bit worried as to whether our visitors would like our garden. I needn't have worried - it was great to chat with people and we had some lovely comments.We had a visitors book .

Cakes and Tea are a VERY important part of the day

Make good use of your advertising pack and tell as many people as you can about your Open Days .It will be hard work but you will enjoy it so much - and raise  money for charity

I see we will be opening on the same day in July - I would love to hear how you get on - please keep me posted

Love

Pam LL x

09/03/2013 at 13:44

Not sure really how to reply to all these lovely comments except for the first one but here goes:

Flobear-Yes, am baking like a dervish

Gardening grandma-Thanks, I am actually looking forward to it really

Nut cutlet-yes thanks, I had a quick tour today and seen some encourging signs of growth-in certain areas I am 'planting' some lovely photos eg of last year's summer wild meadow!

Lilylouise- as above-it is quite a rural area so not a lot of competition. Thanks for your encouragment and I will keep you posted.

Are you all seeing these replies or should I be doing it separately? if so how if there is a string of messages?

09/03/2013 at 13:48

No probs with your reply Sparklyg. They just get added on all together as another post. You can send personal messages to individuals if you need to through your settings.
 Intrigued to know why you're a Sparklygardener

09/03/2013 at 23:19

I'm just sparkly of course.

09/03/2013 at 23:20

Fairy Nuff Sparkly. Thought you might be a fellow belly dancer

15/03/2013 at 20:18

Hallo sparklygardener, I just read this article on open gardens in today's Daily Telegraph. I thought it might interest you, sounds like fun but hard work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/9929465/The-ins-and-outs-of-opening-your-garden-to-the-public.html

15/03/2013 at 21:10

Flobear

Not more belly dancers! Mine does a dance all by itself! I'm entering it in a competition this year.

Sorry! Haven't got anything new to say about open gardens except that I wish I could come and see yours, Sparkly.

16/03/2013 at 18:53

Swiss Sue-thanks for that it posed exactly the questions I am now asking myself mainly around the unpredictabily of the whole thing. I will keep my fingers crossed!

GGrandma-that is a shame you can't come, I have baked over 200 pieces of cake and if it rains and/or I don't get lots of people then we will have lots left over which I would be happy to share with fellow gardeners!

Thanks

16/03/2013 at 20:17

Mmmm, cakes! Shame you're so far away, I'd love to come and see your garden, and dozens of others like the ones at stately homes and castles. I've only ever been to London and Maidstone where we have friends, maybe one day again, will have to save up. Trouble is the pension isn't exactly a banker's bonus!

16/03/2013 at 20:20

Am visiting a NGS open garden tomorrow. looking forward to it. Watch Gallery 2013 where I will post photos - if it's light enough to take any

email image
17 messages