London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
4 messages
19/08/2013 at 13:18

I am looking for a plant to put next to my toddlers football goal.  I need it to be hardy (for when the ball misses the goal!) and I also want it to grow to 1 metre rather quickly.  I love the look of the Pinus mugo 'Minikin' Dwarf Mountain Pine quite modern looking.  But I think it will take too long to grow to 1 metre high.  Any other suggestions?  BTW, I am a complete newbie gardener (have just bought our first ever house with a garden).

19/08/2013 at 13:21

I should also say that we now have a kitten, so I need cat-friendly plants.

19/08/2013 at 13:40

Hi scgh. Unfortunately it's the age old request- something that'll grow quickly but suddenly stop at a desired height! You'll probably better to get something which will grow at a decent rate but will then need to be pruned or trimmed to keep to the height you want. Laurels will take anything thrown at them but put on  a lot of growth once established. They're often used for hedging and can get to a huge height but you can keep it chopped back to a metre quite easily. Eucalyptus is very fast growing so you'd definitely need to hack it back a good bit every year but it benefits from that as it helps it retain it's blue/grey foliage. It's not always hardy in certain conditions, but if it's a warmer area you're in and the site has a bit of shelter you should have no problem. If you google these you'll get some extra info. Both are easy to obtain as well.  

19/08/2013 at 15:30

Certainly Pinus mugo would  not take the sort of hammering a football would give and, the small versions of it a slow growing. That  actually is the whole point of them

Another tough old shrub is Lonicera nitida, in various forms. Ours is kept as a 1 metre high hedge and it needs trimming only once a year.

email image
4 messages