Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Neighbours tree

JayellJayell Posts: 2

Hi all, this is my first post so please go easy....

We have a small garden approx 10mtrs sq. The back of the garden adjoins a neighbours property, in this garden is a Eucalyptus tree, but I don't know the type. The tree trunk splits into 3 branches the smallest being approx 270mm dia. The others may be up to 350mm. The tree is at a guess 10m high with a mx canopy span of 10m.

I am concerned re the size of the tree in relation to our property, I am no expert but have been informed that these trees have a shallow root system which does spread out. There are no obvious signs of property damage as yet, but from an Insurance perspective I would need to know if these trees are an issue being so close at that size. 

The neighbour has trimmed the tree in the past, but I think that what is called for is professional surgery (on the tree - not the neighbour) image....

If I am going to broach the issue I would like to have some facts on my side other than the tree is too large. Any guidance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. As an aside I do like the tree, it's canopy hides the view, but I need to be realistic and not let this affect the discussion. Thanks in advance.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

the local council should have a dedicated " tree officer" I'm sure there's a fancier term , but maybe give them a call? and it'll be free advice.

Devon.
  • JayellJayell Posts: 2

Hi Pansyface and Hostafan, thanks for the information, it's a great idea, I will call them tomorrow.

• Rinus KRinus K Posts: 67

Hi Jayell.

You are allowed ( without his/her permission) to cut branches hanging over the fence on your property. But to keep the relation with your neighbor healthy you better inform him first.

I have the same problem with my neighbor. He has a huge willow who is dead in the top end and braches falling down on my shed when it's windy. I did mentioned this a couple of times but he didn't take any action so far. I have made some pictures in case the whole trees comes down. When this happens ( and that only a matter of time) I have some prove for the insurance company. Actually I have to write him a letter and make clear to him that it's his responsebility as the tree stands on his woodland.

• Pat EPat E Posts: 12,316

Hi Jayell

i would advise getting a qualified horticulturist, who really knows the various Eucalypts, to identify which species of Eucalyptus is near your fence line.

In hot, dry conditions, some, repeat some, Eucalypts suddenly, without warning, drop whole branches. So, not to frighten you, you really do need to know which one it is and whether this tree could be a problem.

There are instances in the news reports here in Australia (often in summer) where people camping under trees have been killed by falling Eucalypt branches.

S. E. NSW

jo47, can I just correct you there. The cuttings must be " offered" to the owner.

He / she has no obligation to accept them , nor can they be chucked back over the fence. ( not that any of us would consider such a thing)

Devon.

Not at all Jo.I wasn't " having a go" honest.

It's a commonly held belief that you can force the neighbour to have the stuff back , but it's not the case.

If they don't want it back, it's up to their neighbour to dispose of it.

Devon.

no doubt someone will be along calling for them to be removed, just like they have on this forum recently for monkshood, giant hogweed and foxgloves. 

Devon.

Has anyone ever demanded Masterchef has a disclaimer reminding folk that those scary knives are sharp and you might cut yourself?

Devon.
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 12,316

I did say that it was impoprtant to get tree identified. Didn't you read it properly. Not all have this habit.  Take it easy folks.

S. E. NSW

Oaks have a tendency to lose limbs too. Sudden limb drop, or branch drop . I've seen a few trees which have "had it"

Devon.