London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
3 messages
29/07/2013 at 15:06

Hi, I am new to this and was reading about various fertilisers to use on a rose bush on here and someone mentioned Nettle juice, then I lost the thread and can't find it.

Please can someone explain to me how I make Nettle Juice?? I have loads at my allotment and would love to turn them into something rather than cursing them!

Thanks

29/07/2013 at 15:23

chop up nettle stem and leaves. Do not use flowering bit or root.

Put in a bucket and cover with water. Preferably add a lid as it will stink. Leave until stems and leaves have rotted ( 4 to 6 weeks) Strain out all solids and deposit on compost heap. Dilute the liquid until it is a weak tea colour. - about half a pint in a 2 gallon watering can. It is best to promote leaves, eg in brassicas . For roses you really want high potash so I would use comfrey tea or tomorite, or rose fertiliser.

29/07/2013 at 17:19
Janey 82 hi, go to Allotmentheavenblogspot.co.uk then see guides and stuff, its got nettles and comfrey, if you do the dry one ( the black one) make sure you dilute to a weak tea. or it will burn the plants as the dry way makes a very strong thick feed much stronger than the 2 gallon bucket one,
email image
3 messages