Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New allotment OMG...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I've just signed up for an allotment and in need of some encouragement.

There were 8 on offer, the better one's went to people further up the list. My choice was over grown with brambles/ trees or over grown with stones/tree's. I opted for over grown and stones/tree's with what look like hundreds of rashberries canes growing randomly over the plot. Part of the ground was covered over with plastic and old carpet which was the attraction, me thinks the weeds will have died and if they are rashberry canes the roots will be near the surfaceimage.

Some of the stones resembled boulders, so it's fair to say the ground is stonyimage, don't think I'll be able to pick them up but the plot's on a slight slope, another attraction they can be rolled down to the bottom and there'll be good drainageimage.

The tree's had been cut down and are going to be treated so the roots die but one tree remains, someone looking round today throught it a cherry tree. I thought it looked deseased, the bark was spilt at it's trunk and there were tiny orange modules on itimage but it has to be left for a year before the people in charge will consider cutting it down but I can prune itimage.

Eventually I'd like the beds to be defined with paths...image. should I put all the stones at the bottom with a view to putting a shed on them...was also thinking they could be used to make paths...

I've stuff in the back garden which me thinks should be transplanted now....like currant /gooseberry bushes... rubarb...but the plot isn't readyimage

Were to start... I'm going next weekend to make a start...suggestions would be helpful...would it be cheeky to ask other plot holders were they started...

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

How exciting image.  Never had an allotment so can't give first hand advice, but i would certainly ask other plot holders - it will be good to get some advice, but also to make some friendsimageimageimage

• good news Zoomer just take it easy to start and no it wouldnt be cheeky im sureother plot holderswill be helpful

• Hi Zoomer, how exciting!  I think you're doing the right thing by thinking about it and planning before you start - no point in moving lots of heavy things only to have to move them again later!  Once you have a plan I would tackle each section separately, do that section really well and dig out every bit of root.  That way you will quickly start to see results rather than viewing it as one huge pile of work to do every time you think about it. image  Using the stones/rocks to help drainage or as a base for a shed seems sensible to me.  For paths I would suggest laying weed membrane first and then covering with bark or whatever else you decide upon.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

We took an allotment on Oct 12 which had not been used for 4 years so understand where you are coming from

We devised a plan , first was a shed , then divided it into sections and started clearing a bit at a time , we created smallish beds easy to plant and manage while still sorting it out , finished clearing the last bit Oct 13

We decided to take all the rubbish and weeds to the tip

Best of luck , it has been brilliant 

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Another idea , our Allotment Society has an arrangement with a local Tree / landscaper surgeon who drops his tree / bush shredding so that people just help themselves , I use them for paths between beds 

In fact I have been up the Allotment today and relayed paths , 20 wheel barrow loads

Have a word with the committee to see if it is possible at your site

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    Fantastic Zoomer, no suggestions as a newbie - I'll leave that to the more experienced - but good luck with it.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Thanks for all the encouragement. Was thinking of clearing the bottom first. A shed will mean somewhere to shelter in between showers, also need to get some wellies image.

Whilst I'm clearing the site, to start with, over the next couple of months, I'd like to put in some long term plants which need little maintance, plants I hope will do well, stuff I'm familiar with and grows in the back garden, so, would like to transplant some fruit bushes, could they be transplanted late February along with rubarb or even transplanted March?...and how late can raspberry canes be planted?.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I planted my Polka autumn fruited raspberries last Feb Zoomer - they fruited really well image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    I'll be interested to see the replies re moving the fruit bushes as I am thinking of moving mine and the rhubarb, but only a few feet.
  • Congratulations Z44. I got mine last yr-love it. I was there yesterday weeding the soft fruit patch.Perfect way to keep fit! You will find fellow plotters very friendly helpful eager to share their knowledge, plants and harvest too.

Just take it easy-so easy to get carried away with the excitement of the plot. Its hard work but so worth it.

GW mag just arrived and has veg planner-perfect.