London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 40 messages
01/11/2013 at 08:58

I guess this is the time when we think about changing things......maybe  a whole border, maybe getting rid of that overgrown shrub or two that we really don't like anymore, maybe we want to but dont know what to plant and it's taking time and thought to decide.  Maybe to plant completely differently.  Maybe want to take a risk and invest in something a little pricey but nervous of doing it.

For me, a spontaneous urge to rip something out quickly turns into a must do.  Always satisfying though when a biggish no-longer-wanted  shrub or tree or overgrown perennial is  ripped out and a clean  planting space becomes available.

So, will you be a'rippin out something this autumn or want to?

01/11/2013 at 09:10

The only thing I would like to rip out is our thuja hedge, but at least it keeps grockles from peering in from the road! Am too attached to everything else.

Lyn
01/11/2013 at 09:13

This is my current ripping out job, ther were 28 conifers, 25 years old, almost all out now, then we cleared the bank of bramble and weeds, not quite finished.

I have planted two trees and two shrubs so far, but have enough to fill the border.

Hopefully it will be finished this winter as the shrubs are all growing in pots.

The little trees up on the bank are part of the hedgerow scheme. Our trees and shrubs will be planted on the flat ground in front.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33495.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

01/11/2013 at 09:14

I'm seriously considering ripping out the rhododendron at the front door which was here when I moved in. I'd like some gold/yellow planting at the front and it just doesn't fit. It's very mature though and the new growth is coppery so I'm not sure. Got enough to do anyway!

Grockle- that's a good word. What does it mean - nosy parkers? 

01/11/2013 at 09:16

Hiya lynn

Sounds quite exciting.......amd better than going to the gym 

01/11/2013 at 09:22

It's a big job Lyn- hope you've been eating your porridge and spinach! 

Very satisfying when you get it all completed though. Did you have a chipper for the conifers? It would have been some good recycling! We did that with a huge fir tree at last house which was in a seriously bad place.

Lyn
01/11/2013 at 09:52

We didnt bother with chiping it, there was far too much so we popped it on the truck and took it to council re cycling, the stumps are just dug right out.

I am fortunate to have a very strong OH he is used to moving great chunks of Cornish granite around so the stumps were no problem. !

Sun is out now so am off to plant another one.

A grockle is what Devon folk call tourists, emmets in Cornwall.

01/11/2013 at 10:01

I'm dithering as usual. We have a rather large white Hydrangea. I've been meaning to move it and kept putting it off. In spring I cut it right back to open up a border intending out take it out this autumn but  its now putting on a late show of flower heads, so i have to decide whether to move or leave and prune hard again next year  and hope for more late flowers.

01/11/2013 at 10:25

We have got the tree man booked to take out a mature but dying chestnut. Sad to see it go but on the upside, I get more light and looking forward to planning a new veg area in the pottager style!

01/11/2013 at 16:57

Izzy, why not just cut it hard again?  Flowers at this time are valued a lot more I think.  I guess it's a paniculata type!  

01/11/2013 at 17:03

I've been trawling through old photos on the computer. Its amazing how the beds change from one year to the next. Something dies overwinter, and leaves a gap. Other things are getting too big.

Definitely time to have a clear out  and a rethink. Lots of catalogues to peruse over winter.

01/11/2013 at 17:34

It's getting a bit dark here. Soon be nowhere for the sun lovers. It's not long since we removed 5 very large willows and it all seemed so open I was worrying about the shade lovers.

01/11/2013 at 17:35

Fidget, try the perennial plants catalogues.    Don't like to lose plants but often when they do it's an opportunity to try something new. .  

01/11/2013 at 17:36

My garden will be in shade from next doors trees from now until March.

01/11/2013 at 17:39

That's sad fidget. At least mine are my own to do as I (or chainsaw wielding OH)  like. 

01/11/2013 at 17:44

It has its pros and cons. Pros are the wildlife and privacy, cons are that when the owners sell up, developers will probably rip everything thats not  got a TP order out and stick 60 houses on it. At that point I will sell up and move too.

01/11/2013 at 17:52

That would be hard to live next to after the trees. I can see our 2 acres being a mini housing estate after our time. But I won't be here to see it

01/11/2013 at 18:03

The access roads were put in when the farm was sold, and the estate put around us.  When the lady next door asked why there were two roads leaading to a dead end on her property, they said it was for the other houses. She said"over my dead body" the planners said "precisely". It does mean I have a rear access  to get tractor loads of muck or pallets of stuff in. Its a lot easier to barrow down the garden than up it.

01/11/2013 at 18:32

I've just ripped out a lavetera Barnsley'. about 2 weeks ago

Although it wasn't that mature was surprised at how much light it let into the rest of the area, so was a clematis, as it has 2 flowers on it now

Have used the area to plant a cephalaria (a giant one) Will be much better than the shrub and am also going to plant a Berberis 'Helmond Pillar' It will give interest without shade

So as most of the garden  - work in progress

01/11/2013 at 18:37

Matty 2 beware "Helmond Pillar". Although it is supposed to be a narrow column mine gets thicker by the year even with severe pruning

1 to 20 of 40 messages