Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

new decked raised bed

flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117
Hi all, we have just built a long decked raised bed, what soil should i get to fill it?

• Have a Look at beechgrove this weeks

iplayer or even Sunday morning BBC2 800 am

Clueless

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117
    Thanks for that i will look forward to watching that image
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Depends how big it is and how much you want to spend.  You can use a mixture of garden soil, any old cheopo compost like Lidls or similar, add some bone meal or chicken pellets, mix together and plant up! This is what I did last year for my veggie patch and all grew fine. 

Oh and dont forget to post a photo, when you get a new camera,

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thaks again Lyn, its 8ft long by 2ft width and 1ft depth, think i need to get a camera soon image
    Happy Easter Lyn and don't worry where not posh image
  • JoeWJoeW Posts: 2

I have just built a raised bed but the ground I am putting it on is mostly clay, too hard to dig level with ease. Would a layer of sand act as a good leveller and allow enough filtration?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Best to rough-dig it Joe, which will help with the drainage then fill the raised part with a mixture of topsoil and compost, adding some well-rotted manure (unless you're growing carrots/parsnips in which case skip adding the manure.)  An ideal mix for a raised bed is about 60% topsoil, 30% compost, 10% manure.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • JoeWJoeW Posts: 2

Thank you!

Hi Joe and Bob, just thought I'd show you a picture of the end result, this is just one half of the raised bed, it took a tone bag of top soil mixed with compost and manure, but it was worth the hard work image 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I love your vertical garden.  Novel idea growing it up the fence.  Certainly saves garden space image