Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

new years resolution

imageI am going to do everything the right way,no short cuts ,no lazy way out of doing things,going to be on time and have a stunning display despite all the weather and slugs throw at me.Going to be kind to all wildlife even if they wreck my displays and eat everything in sight,yes I am going to be a reformed gardener with tools at the ready clean and tidy and not stopping for too  many cuppas and chocie biscuits,watch out Monty!image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Are you going to be kind to slugs and snails?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Gosh, flowering rose, do you think you'll manage all that? Why don't you just do one of them? I'd never keep it up. I could never keep tools in order like Monty's. I'm always amazed when they show his shed with all those neat rows of secateurs etc. I can't usually find mine! And I'm certainly not going to be kind to slugs and snails. I always start the New Year intending to keep the veg garden hoed and weeded, but as I prefer being in the flower garden the veg weeds tend to creep up when I'm not looking, so now I use weed supressing fabric where possible. Useless with a hoe anyway, keep hoeing up the young plants. Good luck with your plans!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Stopping for lots of cuppas to survey the estate has surly got to be an essential part of gardening, flowering rose, I've heard gardens don't thrive so well without these comfort breaksimage.

My New Year resolutions are to not over crowd the GH with to many plants. Remember to sow veg seeds regularly and not give up by Juneimage. Have a mixed strawberry bed and try growing pineberries again from seed, how difficult can it be.

• Hello,

This is one of my new year's resolutions.....to join GW and learn how to do things  properly rather than 'plant and hope'. That said, I've had some pretty lovely results with the P&H approach! I've got a new veg garden ready to go - wish me luck!

Happy New Year image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Caroline72, Good luck with your new veg. garden. The plant and hope system often works 'cos you are actually doing the right thing. On the other hand, I have had failures over and over again because the weather wasn't favourable and the seed packet didn't explain that certain plants really need a lot of warmth/sun/water etc even though I thought I had followed all the instructions.

Happy New Year to you tooimage

• budlia63budlia63 Posts: 141

If you listen to Monty he is always telling of his mistakes etc i think resolution to b more +ve and see the up side of every cloudimage x

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Don't sow too thickly would be a good resolution for me. Plus don't prick out and grow on every seedling that germinates or I'll never keep up with the potting on, watering and planting out even if there was a space for it all.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • To not buy any plants in 2013...I spend far too much and cannot resist. I will resist in 2013, honestly image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.