London (change)
Sat 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
15/09/2013 at 10:21
Dame edna would be disappointed! I have grown gladioli successfully before, but this year all the corms i planted this spring have come up blind. I had read that they had a better chance of overwintering if they were planted deeply, so i put them about 20cm down. Could this be the reason? And if so, will they be any better next year, or should i dig them up and plant more shallowly?
15/09/2013 at 10:26

Also when is the best time to plant please?

15/09/2013 at 15:58

Interesting, none of my glads flowerd this year either, and usually we have quite a good show.  Nothing else really suffered, so I wonder what got the glads? 

15/09/2013 at 16:35

I plant them at four times their height. I've had a lovely display, only started a week or two ago though. Maybe yours still flower very soon?

15/09/2013 at 17:32

I have the same problem!  I planted mine originally in the garden but only one or two flowered, this year i planted them in a pot (when Monty did on GW) but no flowers at all! will wait and see but if no flowers appear i don't think i'll bother with them again, there's plenty of other plants to try

15/09/2013 at 18:51

When did you plant them though?

15/09/2013 at 19:01
I planted mine late April. Maybe i am being impatient and the flowers are about to burst through. Watch this space !
15/09/2013 at 19:09

Sorry, can't remember when i planted them and didn't put date on label! They have grown well to about 2 feet high but no sign of any flowers!

15/09/2013 at 19:27

I've had same issue with acidantheras too ( sorry for poor spelling) another type of glad. Lots of leaf growth but no flowers - planted in pots towards end of March but they were very slow off the mark so maybe they may flower before winter sets in!

16/09/2013 at 13:20

The only thing I remember about Gladioli, is that they are supposed to take approx 100 days from planting for them to flower

16/09/2013 at 21:52

I wonder if the late cold spring has held them back?  Like Jayne, I have loads of leaves but no sign of flowers

17/09/2013 at 13:06

It staggered me how quick mine sent their flower stalks up. Have you been feeding them? 

17/09/2013 at 21:05

Hi Emma - no,  I didn't feed them, but never have done before and they have always been ok.  Will let you know if anything appears late - although its getting a bit of a forlorn hope now

18/09/2013 at 13:15

I just saw your opening post. I wonder if planting them 20cm deep might be the pronlem? Mine are usually 10cm deep or so. I'm not an expert though, have a bit of a google

18/09/2013 at 13:22

I don't really like glads but planted sme in a pot this year after they were left unwanted at a charity plant sale along with one each of purple and white petunias.  They all did well and flowered well and the glads turned out to be a rich, deep purple rather than the gaudy candy shades I dislike.  I shall keep them for next year.

I also planted acidanthus in pots and had lots of flowers but not on every plant.  I suspect they were overcrowded so, once the foliage dies down I shall lift them and separate them and plant them less densely next year.

Both pots had full sun and regular watering and feeding.

18/09/2013 at 15:14

My experience is to leave them planted deeply in well draining soil and that way they flower every year or so. I actually lost more of the lifted Gladioli than the ones that I left in the ground. They do like water in the summer and a sunny site - sunnier the better.

23/09/2015 at 10:39

Mine haven't flowered either, last year they were amazing.

23/09/2015 at 13:41
This thread is a couple of years old now, so I can provde you with an update

I left them where they were, and got a good display last year and this - however, a new lot that I planted deeply this spring are all leaves and no flower now. So my conclusion is that planting them deeply helps you keep them for the long term without the hassle of lifting them, but by doing so you sacrifice flowers in the first year

Not very scientific (sample size of one ) - but it seems to make sense
24/09/2015 at 17:41

I will give them another year then before discarding them.

thank you

25/09/2015 at 07:52

I have leaves that I suspect might be gladioli (new garden). As a scientist I'm going to plump for Chicky's vast and varied scientific study and leave them a while to see what happens! (I know of folk who have published on not much more)

1 to 20 of 22 messages