London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
16 messages
15/09/2013 at 10:21
Dame edna would be disappointed! I have grown gladioli successfully before, but this year all the corms i planted this spring have come up blind. I had read that they had a better chance of overwintering if they were planted deeply, so i put them about 20cm down. Could this be the reason? And if so, will they be any better next year, or should i dig them up and plant more shallowly?
15/09/2013 at 10:26

Also when is the best time to plant please?

15/09/2013 at 15:58

Interesting, none of my glads flowerd this year either, and usually we have quite a good show.  Nothing else really suffered, so I wonder what got the glads? 

15/09/2013 at 16:35

I plant them at four times their height. I've had a lovely display, only started a week or two ago though. Maybe yours still flower very soon?

15/09/2013 at 17:32

I have the same problem!  I planted mine originally in the garden but only one or two flowered, this year i planted them in a pot (when Monty did on GW) but no flowers at all! will wait and see but if no flowers appear i don't think i'll bother with them again, there's plenty of other plants to try

15/09/2013 at 18:51

When did you plant them though?

15/09/2013 at 19:01
I planted mine late April. Maybe i am being impatient and the flowers are about to burst through. Watch this space !
15/09/2013 at 19:09

Sorry, can't remember when i planted them and didn't put date on label! They have grown well to about 2 feet high but no sign of any flowers!

15/09/2013 at 19:27

I've had same issue with acidantheras too ( sorry for poor spelling) another type of glad. Lots of leaf growth but no flowers - planted in pots towards end of March but they were very slow off the mark so maybe they may flower before winter sets in!

16/09/2013 at 13:20

The only thing I remember about Gladioli, is that they are supposed to take approx 100 days from planting for them to flower

16/09/2013 at 21:52

I wonder if the late cold spring has held them back?  Like Jayne, I have loads of leaves but no sign of flowers

17/09/2013 at 13:06

It staggered me how quick mine sent their flower stalks up. Have you been feeding them? 

17/09/2013 at 21:05

Hi Emma - no,  I didn't feed them, but never have done before and they have always been ok.  Will let you know if anything appears late - although its getting a bit of a forlorn hope now

18/09/2013 at 13:15

I just saw your opening post. I wonder if planting them 20cm deep might be the pronlem? Mine are usually 10cm deep or so. I'm not an expert though, have a bit of a google

18/09/2013 at 13:22

I don't really like glads but planted sme in a pot this year after they were left unwanted at a charity plant sale along with one each of purple and white petunias.  They all did well and flowered well and the glads turned out to be a rich, deep purple rather than the gaudy candy shades I dislike.  I shall keep them for next year.

I also planted acidanthus in pots and had lots of flowers but not on every plant.  I suspect they were overcrowded so, once the foliage dies down I shall lift them and separate them and plant them less densely next year.

Both pots had full sun and regular watering and feeding.

18/09/2013 at 15:14

My experience is to leave them planted deeply in well draining soil and that way they flower every year or so. I actually lost more of the lifted Gladioli than the ones that I left in the ground. They do like water in the summer and a sunny site - sunnier the better.

email image
16 messages