Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Non blooming daffodils

i have lots of daffodil bulbs in the garden but only about 50% of them have flowered...any advice welcomed. Should I just dig them up or leave for another year ?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Lots of questions about 'blind' Daffs this year. Feed them is the answer. Now with a  low nitrogen foliage feed. Or dig them up and replant in smaller groups with food under them. Do not cut off the leaves or tie them in knots.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Was going out to feed mine today - with tomorite - is that the right sort of feed?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Yes. High in potash to help flower formation and low in nitrogen so not making greenery at the expense of flowers.

• Berghill, does  Tomorite work with blind Tulips too? Had a potful that have come up blind this year.

• Many thanks for suggestions. Will try this year 

• The time to feed daffodils is after they've flowered (or should have) - and make sure you don't remove the leaves until they've turned brown and died right down.  If it's a dry spring/summer give them a few soakings with the hose too - they like damp soil.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Some of my Daffs in a front bed occasionaly come up blind, then flower the following year.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 970

Often lifting an replant deeper is the answer.