Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

North, South, East or West Facing

Can I check that I have understood my garden's aspect - whether it is north, south, east or west facing! I  find this rather confusing.

Firstly, when I'm stood on my patio with my back to the house I am looking north. Does that mean my garden is a north-facing garden?

Secondly,  as I stand on the patio I have a cottage garden style border right in front of me as I look straight ahead (looking north). Does this mean that this border is south facing?

I'm all confused! Not sure whether I'm on my head or heels - Can you please clarify. After years of gardening I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this one!

Thanks 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Scott Edwards wrote (see)

Can I check that I have understood my garden's aspect - whether it is north, south, east or west facing! I  find this rather confusing.

Firstly, when I'm stood on my patio with my back to the house I am looking north. Does that mean my garden is a north-facing garden?

Secondly,  as I stand on the patio I have a cottage garden style border right in front of me as I look straight ahead (looking north). Does this mean that this border is south facing?

I'm all confused! Not sure whether I'm on my head or heels - Can you please clarify. After years of gardening I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this one!

Thanks 

You have it exactly right, Scott! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

As I understand it you have a north facing garden.  I would say that your cottage garden border is also north facing unless it is sloping towards the south.

Don't be embarrassed - sometimes something we've read or heard just throws us out of kilter a bit - in your job I imagine you've  come across that before image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Yes -north facing Scott. Is the border at the far boundary or at your feet? If it's alongside  the patio then it's north facing but if it's running along your far boundary it will be south facing. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I disagree Dove - I would call it a South-facing border in a North-facing garden.  As it will be in shadow from the house though, best select plants as if it were a North-facing border, so we do agree really! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Scott EdwardsScott Edwards Posts: 227

The border is at the end of the garden at the boundary fence and as a result the shadow of the house doesn't effect it.

Thank you for all your replies. I'm happy that you have confirmed what I thought was the case: The garden is north facing but the border at the end of the garden is south facing. I'm glad to say it far enough away from the house that it doesn't sit in its shadow.

That helps me work out the other borders I've got which is great.

Pauline, I'm going to draw a quick sketch of the garden and scribble down which borders which so I don't forget. You might like to do the same!

Thanks one and all. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought the border was against the patio, not against the fence image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

No probe's Dove, I should have been clearer in my explanation.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

It has been a strange time with such a wet winter and a dryer than usual spring. I've got a few plants flowering earlier than normal this year. Roses and hardy geraniums are out a little bit earlier than normal. Hope it won't all be over by the beginning of July.