Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

old man's beard

B3B3 Posts: 27,472

I have what I think is old man's beard conveniently growing along a fence.(clematis-like leaf and dark red stems small flower buds)

My question is, is it controllable or should I get rid of it while I've got the chance?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472
    1. I'm on my way out there right now! Thanks tetley image
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,472

Job done. Didn't realise what the sneaky b@@@@r was up to until I started getting it out. Can't dig too deep at the moment so will keep cutting off any shoots until surrounding plants are dormant. Thanks again tetley

• annmarie 2annmarie 2 Posts: 155

what an old man beard  guys never heard of one before ,what it look like

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318

Its a type of Clematis annmarie2, also known as Traveller's Joy. But Tetley is sooooo right, it is no joy in a garden! But then every garden should have a challenge mine is couch grass, my son-in-law, bless him, insists I should just mow it!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Drive past a hedgerow in autumn and see yards of it completely covered in white, that's the stuff. 

Prolific seeder, tough stems, deep rootimage

Lovely. But......

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • annmarie 2annmarie 2 Posts: 155

thanks herbaceous , ive never heard of one before and ive just googled it to see what to look for , very strange looking plant looks like cobwebs a bit image

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318

I think they are quite pretty really, like nutcutlet I can only admire them in someone else's patch though!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Hmm...I see it is host plant to the larvae of a wide range of moths. Anyone got any seeds? image Or am I asking for trouble? image It can't be any worse than Virginia creeper can it? image 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

You're asking for trouble fishy but I expect mine will flower and seed. I'll see if I can wade through the nettles to check tomorrowimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I met this in the boundary of the gite we rented on hols.  The flowers smell of almonds so I had to ask our host about it,having paid €15 each fro 2 clematis flammula for my garden because they have small but prolific white flowers that smell of almonds.   One has died and the other is struggling this year after doing really well last year.

My host assured me the stuff is rampant and they take shears to it to keep it in control but they like to keep some for the perfume and the insects.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato