Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Oops I'm in the dog house

Oops I'm in the dog house.

Yep I broke my spade yesterday so I when to garden centre and bought a new one £28.00 but I did get a free hoe.

I'm I the only one that gets into trouble for spending money on the garden ??

I need a new excuse than sweetie I'm decorating a extension of our living room as I/we spend so much time in the garden 

James

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

It could be that the spade was faulty, not your fault!image

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Fit a dimmer switch to lights in the extension & buy flowers / chocs for your good lady.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I like the extension excuse! Only prob for me would be that I'm the only one that spends anytime in our garden. 

I get rolled eyes when I get home with something new for the garden, be it a plant or a tool. At least you replaced something that was broken, and got something free! 

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Why did the spade break? If the soil is clay then use a fork to break it up, not a spade...I have lost 3 spades with my soil whilst the forks are all still going strong.

I am always getting in trouble for spending money on the 'stupid garden'! Too many plants, compost, mulch, feeds, tools, heater for greenhouse etc. Yet there are complaints when something does not look right - gardeners cannot win.

I'm in the lucky position that I buy what I want. But H has come to realise the impact that a new plant purchased or an improvement in the garden brings to his life.imageimage

I'm chief cook & H is bottle washer so a job well done in the garden results in a pasta meal, something I'm not overly keen on.

• I don't get into any trouble as my garden is also a mini business enterprise and so self sustaining!  It's my funds and I get what I need and like! Maybe because Mrs K has her own hobby which I don't complain about helps too!

• Well I have no one to complain........so is that a good thing image

Dunno Potty but you don't have to eat pasta. image

• I buy plants in the sale and swap cuttings to keep the cost down but if I do really want something for the garden, I'll get it and hang the cost!

I seem to be spending a lot on bird seeds at the moment and getting a great deal of pleasure out of watching little flurry's of sparrows dart around the garden.