Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Overwintering dahlias in pots

I have a number of dahlias grown this summer in pots.  Do I need to uproot them, wash and store them in the same way as the ones I have dug out from the garden?

Would love to hear if anyone has had success with this 'shortcut'.

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

I grow mine in pots, I move them into the greenhouse before they have finished flowering & let them dry out, then cut them down & move the pots into the garage for the winter, no need to uproot them as long as you let them dry out beforehand.

Then in the spring I move them back to the greenhouse, never lost 1 yet.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Mark that's good news as that's what I'm doing with mine for the first time image

• Hi

i am leaving mine in the ground. I live in Surrey. And hoping that they survive the winter. I have mulch them. Let's wait and see what happens....my first year in growing this beautiful flowers..

• I'm moving mine into the garage image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks for all advice.  I will have to find somewhere warm enough to dry my pots out (I see the rain is back)  and then wait until Spring to see if they have survived.  Last Spring I took lots of dahlia cuttings and all but one survived, hence the need to use pots.  There weren't enough spaces in the garden to take lots of new plants. (Almost) a great feeling of getting something for nothing but the main thing was a boost to my confidence!!