London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
7 messages
15/04/2014 at 22:40
I have a pretty small square garden. 10 metres long by probably 9 metres wide. It is a new build house so all my garden fence is the same. The back and the left hand side has been stained brown. The right hand fence was put up last autumn. I am thinking of painting this cream as I do not fancy being surrounded by brown on all sides. Has anyone else done this. What are your thoughts ??
16/04/2014 at 00:59

Can we see some pics? That would help

16/04/2014 at 08:11

Can you get cream stain? I've only seen blues and greens apart from browns. 

Anything must be better than that orange brown so popular with fence panel manufacturers

16/04/2014 at 08:14
16/04/2014 at 17:37

Cream will be lovely and show off your plants well and bounce light from the bits that aren't hidden by plants.  You'll need two or three coats to cover up the brown.

16/04/2014 at 17:55

Nut - if I had my way that orange stuff would be banned. I'm still trying to get rid  of it on the fences that were here. I think I'm at the third coat on some bits and it still won't give up 

I think it depends on the look you want  John. I've done my new trellis (on one fence) and the raised beds black so that plants will stand out against it and it will be a contrast to the fence and a bit more of a feature in winter when the climbers die down. I'd have painted that fence a lighter colour - sagey green - to give a better contrast, but most of it was the aforementioned orange so it's olive green now. Dark colours can be useful for a boundary in a small garden. It makes the garden seem bigger because the fence 'disappears' when you plant in front of it.  A light or bright colour can make a real feature especially if you choose plants carefully to leave bits of the fence on show. As obelixx says, you'll need quite a few coats of cream to get a good density of colour.

16/04/2014 at 19:31

I think colour depends on location, so one should not always choose 'my favourite colour'. I chose an orangey colour for my fence which is very long, because other people nearby had used very dark brown and it defined their fences too strongly. The orangey Cuprinol 'Ducks Back' within a year or two toned down to an acceptable colour. I am not very fond of dark colours; I feel in a climate where we have longish winters, with not much sunlight it is a good idea to keep a 'light' feel in and outside of the house.

email image
7 messages