Start a new thread

21 to 40 of 457 replies

Obelixx

We used pallets upended and screwed to support posts to make the sides and backs of our 3 bay compost heaps.  The fronts have slot in slats to allow access for turning and emptying.

A few years later I used some more pallets to make an insect hotel with a  roof garden as shown in this thread if you scroll down a bit. http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/mussel-shell-uses/260961.html

Obelixx -that looks great like the idea of the roof garden on top

Here is how it started

Here is the tools I have used crowbar, hammer, sledge hammer, ear protectors and gloves

This is part way through - the planks took of the back

Here is how it looks now, nice tower of blocks and lots of planks of wood

Alan4711

Allotmenteers would be lost without there compost corners made from pallets and  all usually freemans 

WOW, you did well Grdengirl, to get the nails out of the blocks.

Tried the brick method today, it's slightly easier, the flag stone I was using broke though . Looking forward to seeing the pics of your finished project

No expert

Here is a bench i made from a 9 board pallet.

This is the de-Luxe model with an added back rest.

Advertisement

Busy Bee2

This is a fab thread.  We have pallets - I usually just cut them up with a chain saw and stick them on the log burner, but this is much more creative.  Loving the bench and the greenhouse staging!!!

No expert

The bench without a back comes down the garden when I'm planting and doubles up as a seat and a work bench.

Thanks for the picture now I understand what you mean.  How did you put the back on the bench?  Super long screws?  

Thanks Zoomer44

Pallet no.2 now done.  Actually this one was much tougher to do and the wood split in a few places, hard to get the nails out as they were rusted in.  Needed a lot more effort.

Busy Bee 2 - welcome to the forum. Lots of ideas here.

hollie hock

Well done Gardengirl in bashing those nails out  When we built a fence super long screws were the answer.

Free pallets are great, you can do so much out of them. Although they  do get the fire started as well Busybee

No expert

Not that super long at all. Six 4x 70 spax screws  is all that holds on the back

The extra material needed:

2 pieces of 3x2 wood 20 inches long cut at a shallow angle to give a slope of 9 to 10 inches. The tops are rounded with a band saw but could just as well be cut at a slope to allow water to run off.

3 Pallet boards same length as seat. 2 screws in each board.

I also fixed a length of timber to fill the gap between the seat and the top of the back of the seat.

Simples!

No expert

Sorry Gardengirl that should say 3 pallet boards and 4 screws in each as per photo

Also you may need to screw some of the other boards as pallet boards can be loose.

My compost bin made completely from pallets.

And a raised bed for strawberries.

hollie hock

Great pictures no expert, I like the bench a lot. Pallets are great!

Thanks  No expert for the info and pics

Started on the potting table the other day taking apart another pallet

Done more pallet hammering yesterday putting the top bit of the potting table together now it looks like a piece of wood with no gaps between,  just seeing if I can have a shelf as well from the pallets

Steve 309

This all looks great!  Very imaginative.  I've only ever used them for compost heap and log store.  Need to get my tools out....

When I managed to take apart the first pallet into planks and block I could imagine lots of things to make out of them, it is amazing when they are bit of wood instead of pallet to see different things to make 

Advertisement

No expert

What is a pallet only a collection of wood.

Any chance of a picture of the table I might have a go at one.

My next project is a storage box for fleece and hessian sheets that I use for frost protection. It is a long way back to the garden shed to store them during the day and I have to go to work, so a storage box down thew garden would be useful. Cheaper to make than buy. It will be 36x18 x20 inches high.

Will add pics as I go, just for the hec of it.

hollie hock

We picked up some free pallets the other day, currently being worked into a chicken coup

I will try take a pic today, it is not a table yet need to sort out how to make the stand bit, will try having more of a go today 

Hollie hock that sounds fun

Steve 309

...wish I could find my camera....