Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pampas Grass

pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

We have finally moved (after about three years!)

The garden is very small - which will be fine in years to come, as my large, Somerset garden was becoming too much for my fast-ageing bones.

We have here  a large pampas grass.  It is next to the fence.  It is far too large for a small garden (and I don't like it anyway).  But how on earth do I get rid of it?  Is there an easy way?  I am currently inclined to find a local gardening heavyweight who can do the deed for me.  And at the same time dig out a couple of long-past-their-best conifers of unknown provenance.

All advice gratefully received!  Thanks in advance . . .

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Find the gardening heavyweight. There's no easy way to get rid of pampas grass, just brute force I'm afraid.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

A young lad or two with some muscles would do it for a few quid I expect. It won't need any gardening knowledge to get shot of it! Same with your conifers. Perhaps a neighbour might have an older  son with a mate who'd do it for you  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Thank you for your wise advice - I think it's the muscle-bound heavyweight that will do the job!

Re the bags of manure etc Verdun - we are on the edge of Tiverton, next to a farm.  I reckon a few kind words in the right direction will help us enormously! 

I have a friend who will be bring over all my potted/split/saved plants from my own garden on Wednesday (lovely neighbour has been looking after them for a couple of weeks).  I have asked for (and received) about £200 worth of garden vouchers for new plants.  I am as excited as a kid at Christmas about the myriad possibilities - once the dreaded pampas/conifers are consigned to history,

Watch this space image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Sounds like a great project, Violet, and I'm sure that's the right solutoin for the pampas grass.  It belongs on the pampas, or failing that, on the compost heap.