London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
19 messages
29/12/2013 at 12:52

I grew peas for the first time last season using twigs and found it was difficult to weed as the twigs obstructed the soil

A fellow Allotmenteer suggested upright wire netting so they grow up and leaves an area around to weed

? What is good to support the peas during growth

? Advice please Friends

29/12/2013 at 13:52

Wire or plastic netting stretched between two reasonably strong poles/posts will work (the crop can be very heavy and prone to wind blowing the whole thing over.)

29/12/2013 at 14:00

Thanks Bob

? So if I am using say a  7 foot x 4 foot bed how many poles and is it a square or just a wall

Thanks

29/12/2013 at 14:07

I put a post at each end of the row so make a wall.  If you attach a piece of galvanised garden wire between the top of the two posts, you can tie the netting to that every foot or so which will help to stop it sagging too much in the middle.  I generally use plastic pea/bean netting which is very cheap.

29/12/2013 at 14:15

Assumptions

Posts 3 foot high

For a 14 foot bed more posts

Sow peas inside the wall

29/12/2013 at 14:21

Sorry....its a free standing wall not a rectangle of four walls

29/12/2013 at 15:48

You might want to go for taller posts than 3 foot ones as many peas grow to about 4-5 feet high.  I would use 3 posts for a 14ft long row and remember to drive them in to the ground well - about 18 inches deep so take that into account when deciding the post length - 5 foot long posts would give you a 3 feet 6 inches tall 'wall'.  With peas I dig a shallow 2 inch deep trench next to the bottom of the netting and sow the seeds about 2 inches apart.  I also sow a dozen or so pots (3 seeds to a pot)  to fill any gaps where they don't germinate in the ground (or get eaten by mice etc!)

KEF
29/12/2013 at 15:59

Bob, I might be asking a silly question but why do you use net for the peas? Or have I miss read? I just stake mine with pieces of bamboo or arundo donax and tie in well. I'm in a very windy place and they are usually fine. Agree they do grow tall last year mine were 4' plus.

I don't manually weed I just hoe between them. Don't seem to get many weeds, or any that will be detrimental during pea growing time.

29/12/2013 at 16:14

Hi KEF, I use netting mainly for convenience (and usually lack of enough spare sticks/canes!)  I think weeding depends on what weeds you happen to be 'infested' with - two of my beds are fairly weed free now after many years of hoeing but one has creeping buttercup which has to be hand-weeded to keep any kind of control. 'Orrible stuff!

KEF
29/12/2013 at 16:26

Thanks Bob. Fastest finger first

29/12/2013 at 16:39

Gents

This is only my 3rd season as an allotmenteer so I am trying different ways to grow.all stuff

Thanks

29/12/2013 at 17:08

You'll soon be a master of it, Newboy2!  You're doing the right thing by trying lots of crops and will soon find which things work on your allotment and which don't - few sites are suitable growing every type of veg.  A friend of mine can't grow peas for the life of him and he's been trying them for 30 years - I'd have given up long ago!

30/12/2013 at 10:15

Bob.....last Pupils Question.....how thick should the posts be to support a wire and peas of 7 x 4 foot  or 14 x 4 foot bed

I have some that are 1 inch square

30/12/2013 at 11:52
hi all we used posts and chicken wire, worked a treat ,then we tried farmers round 5 foot fence posts at ??1:09 each and farmers fencing its much stronger cheap and simply rolls up when not required,for beans and peas its perfect, there's a choice of fence sizes small squares or larger we used the 4" square type just right,farmers suppliers are really good for allotmenteers and gardeners and are very helpful to the smaller purchasers,as they said all sales help these days,if your near one givem a try we use them often,
30/12/2013 at 11:55
sorry that was ??1:09 each for bposts around 4 inches by 5 foot to hammer well in
30/12/2013 at 11:56
my pounds signs not working sorry one pound and nine pence each,this is hard work
30/12/2013 at 19:38

I use chicken wire netting and 2x2 stakes 5 foot long at each end of the line, in between every 7 or 8 foot I use steel rods left over from my days on construction. Always sow peas on windy side of barrier, they blow away from the net if sown on the other side. Also I always start my peas off in pots. Too many of my seeds failed with direct sowing in 2012.

31/12/2013 at 13:09
i soaked my peas in parrafin for a couple of seconds to stop the mice eating them,they still dug a few up but didnt eat them i pushed em back and had really good peas ( Hurst green ) best weve done so far,
31/12/2013 at 17:46

Hurst greenshaft are the ones I always grow and I've tried several others as well. The GS give me the most peas to the pod and lots of lovely pods.

I use canes and pea/bean netting, cheap and cheerful and it does the trick.

email image
19 messages