London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 16°C
11 messages
04/09/2013 at 13:36

I have grown 2 pepper plants in my greenhouse this year and although they are extremely healthy looking plants with lots of flowers and leaves, I have not had any peppers growing on them. What am I doing wrong?

04/09/2013 at 17:02

Is it possible they are not being pollinated?  try transfering the pollen from one to the other, i use a little paint brush, flicking the stem can also work.

05/09/2013 at 09:20

I thought that may be the problem, do you have to have 2 plants then and do you have to transfer the pollen from one plant to the other. Sorry if this is a dull question.

05/09/2013 at 15:32

Hi Andy, I am not 100% sure, tomatos will polinate from a single plant, and i think chillis can too, although i never grow a single plant.

05/09/2013 at 15:46

Thanks, I'll try the paintbrush but it's probably a bit late in the year now. Never mind. Try again next year.

05/09/2013 at 15:58

It might to late, but having said that, i picked nearly all the chillis off one of my plants and noticed a couple of day later that it had new flowers again, with a week the chilli pod was formed and is about 3 inch long, still green of course.

27/11/2013 at 21:39

Can I 'piggyback' on Andy4's query, please?:

I grew a dozen large (sweet) pepper plants in individual pastic buckets outdoors - they had plenty of flowers but very few set as fruit and then stayed smallish (stunted). No other disease or pests were evident; do I give them a sheltered corner of the unheated greenhouse through the winter months and await regrowth on 2' stems, or just start affresh next year with new seed? Helpful comments / observations welcomed...

27/11/2013 at 22:54

Hi David, while you can overwinter peppers, they do need to be kept warmer than in an unheated greenhouse.  I've done it by keeping them in a back room of the house where it never dropped below about 15C but I wouldn't say it was really worth it as ones grown from seed actually did better that year.  Due to the cold Spring this year, there wasn't really a long enough warm period to successfully grow peppers outdoors - they need quite a long season.  To be sure of a crop in the uk we really need to grow them in a greenhouse although it's fine to take them out into the open during the height of the Summer.

28/11/2013 at 20:23

Hi BobTG, Thanks for your pointers - I'll follow your advice & ditch the old plants forthwith, then in '14 I'll start (early) with new seed in a heated propagator and hope for much better late spring & summer weather to follow...?

28/11/2013 at 21:41

Yes David, an early start is essential in our climate.  You must keep them above 12C at all times though, so starting early has its drawbacks.  If young plants get chilled it will usually 'set them back' and they may not do as well as seeds sown later.  I usually do 2 or 3 sowings so I have the best chance of success and grow the young plants on windowsills or in the conservatory until night temperatures in the greenhouse don't fall below 12C.  It can be challenging some years.

Choose early varieties too - this supplier has some good ones (no connection):

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/sweetpeppers.html

28/11/2013 at 23:37

Thanks Bob, for the info and the link

email image
11 messages