London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
19/06/2014 at 14:20

Years ago, on UK Radio 4 I heard one of the panelists say 'We don't waste nothing in the garden'. Now I am working on a book about recycling in the garden and have an inkling this might have been Percy Thrower - can anyone out there confirm that it was just the kind of thing he might say so that I can attribute the quote? Many thanks in anticipation.

19/06/2014 at 14:51

I don't know much about Percy Thrower but I would hope he wouldn't use a double negative in a sentence!

19/06/2014 at 14:56

Same here and he was a bit chemical happy ad not necessarily into recycling or concerned about environmental sensibilities.

19/06/2014 at 16:10

I doubt if the beeb would have employed someone who didn't talk proper in those days

19/06/2014 at 16:39

Seem to have memories of reading my Fathers Percy Thrower book and writing up  a long list of chemicals to buy the next day....  ah the good old days.

19/06/2014 at 17:31

I went to a talk by an old style fuchsia man recently. He started with chemicals, then there were more chemicals and then a bit about fuchsias. It was a different world to the one I inhabit. There's be no time for gardening with all the attention they need

19/06/2014 at 18:16

I vaguely remember Percy but that was mostly because "Telly" was a new thing.  Am I right in thinking he used to do his gardening dressed in a shirt and tie ?  Very BBC

He was a Gardener of course but I seem to think that the Geoff Hamilton's were the ones who tried to come away from chemicals and zapping every living thing. 

In more recent times, we seem to have come full circle.......back to using chemicals (admittedly somewhat more sophisticated ) for knocking stuff off. I can well understand some of it but there do seem to be more chemical solutions offered as a quick fix rather than promoting good garden practice and the idea (horror of horrors ) that you do need to live alongside nature.

As for the Garden Makeovers..........well.........there have been comments enough on that subject I think

Well, that's my rant over and I never even knew poor old Percy 

20/06/2014 at 10:44

There's a clip on Youtube of Percy Thrower doing an interview on how great the introduction of colour television was for gardening programmes. He does sound pretty well spoken and not as if he would have been careless with his grammar!

20/06/2014 at 11:01
Maybe Geoff Hamilton? He was very in to recycling and sustainability long before it was mainstream
20/06/2014 at 12:02

So many changes have taken place over the years.  At one time.  It was an education to listen whilst individuals spoke on the beeb.  Nowadays, it seems that anyfing goes.  Mispronunciation, or should that be, mis-pronunciatio?  The the decline in personal appearance.  Sadly so much has changed and not for the better.  One thing I remember about Percy.  He always had his pipe with him.

20/06/2014 at 12:45

Obviously i have heard of Percy Thrower, hence the username, he was the first shall we say tv gardener that i had seen, but alas i was more a blue-peter fan than a gardening fan in those days, i am in my forties now, but if my childhood memory serves me right he did garden on blue-peter at some stage didn't he? i seem to recall a sunken garden and being impressed as a kid...

Edd
20/06/2014 at 13:12

"Percy Thrower unveils first Blue Peter Garden, 1974 
The original celebrity gardener, Percy Thrower launched the Blue Peter Garden in March 1974 with areas for different crops. It was redesigned in 1979 to resemble an Italian sunken garden but was vandalised before it could be finished."

20/06/2014 at 13:21

Double negatives really bug me, I can't imagine someone from back in those days on the BBC using a double negative, or saying 'so and so and ME' as they do now......I always say it should be 'I' and if someone uses a double negative I have to stop myself correcting them, unless it's my boys of course.......Can't to do nothing right!!!    Grrrrrrrrrr 

20/06/2014 at 13:28

..perhaps more Clay Jones than Percy Thrower....at a guess...Welshman Jones was a bit more down to earth, so to speak...

20/06/2014 at 14:54

I'm pleased to say that the only chemicals in my garden are plant feed  

20/06/2014 at 15:17

My son, who's a chemical engineer, recently sent me a link to an article complaining that the vilification of the word "chemical" was putting people off studying chemistry and pointing out that everything is made of chemicals - including compost, top soil and even the plants themselves....

20/06/2014 at 17:02

I wonder if this came from Fred Loades  or one of the others on Gardeners Question time

20/06/2014 at 17:03

SGardener.........yes, that is a very fair point..........."chemical" is immediately related to "bad" these days and most of us are guilty of not following through logically on that subect

20/06/2014 at 17:04

Just thought I wonder if it was the wonderful Fred Streeter?   We have had some wonderful gardenersto help us, then of course there was Bill Sowerbutts

20/06/2014 at 21:38

Yes excellent point SG...I should have emphasised 'man-made chemicals' such as weed killer,pesticide etc. Though numerous man-made chemicals are in fact very beneficial of course,including the medication I take 

1 to 20 of 24 messages