London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
8 messages
23/07/2013 at 21:49

Does anyone have a definitive list of perenials and how they can be cut back (hard or trimmed) in June / July for a second flush in autumn? I have surfed the web and the list is limited. Includes: hardy geraniums, delphiniums and catmint. What else?

Thanks

Rachel

23/07/2013 at 21:51

Oriental poppies don't flower again, but you do get a fresher crop of leaves.

23/07/2013 at 22:04

Hiya rachel

Argyranthemums, most daisies, osteospermums, lupins if cut early, heleniums, buddleias, Heucheras, verbena rigida, homestead purple and other varieties ( not bonariensis) tender salvias, echinaceas (I cut back hard earlier in the year though). You can delay dahlias. If you want to, by cutting back half way now.  astrantias too can be cut back now for possible re flowering.....not always guaranteed but usually get something.  Anthemis, like mrs Buxton, can also be cut back now.  Many annuals like cosmos can be cut back to new shoots too

23/07/2013 at 22:12

Verdun- do you get a second flush of flowers from your echinaceas, or do you just delay flowering?  Mine aren't even flowering for the first time yet

23/07/2013 at 22:53

Hiya chicky.   Well, echinaceas are cut back bit earlier really but did one or two fortnight back.  When I buy any I always remove flower stems, even now, but no later than another week or so.  I bought echinacea milkshake and summer sun 3 weeks ago, cut off the would be flower stems and they are now showing their new buds.  Shorter, stockier but should flower for lomg time.  I find they need a reasonable supply of moisture too.....I know they are "prairie" plants but they have become so hybridised they aren't so adept at surviving and flowering....in my opinion.  So chicky, I would water a little....they will prob flower next month.

I don't cut back for second flush on echinaceas.  I do it for a better, longer flowering period in mid to late summer.  

24/07/2013 at 06:24

Thanks Verdun, I must admit I find echinaceas very tricky

24/07/2013 at 08:02

Chicky, I think they are a bit.  Got some that thrive....sundown, summer sky, hot Papya, marmalade, white swan, Sunrise, for example.  I go for the newer varieties and they are unpredictable

25/07/2013 at 07:32

email image
8 messages