London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 152 messages
28/07/2014 at 23:33
Sorry about that. Recent posts etc caused me quite a bit of pain. However folks, so sorry vif in the past I have ranted on. As a reminder from many forum members. One doesn't have to read everything. So basically I take it as meaning. If you don't like it...pass on by. In my usual humble way. I apologise for being a bit, edumacated and scientificaly placed. Believe me. It has been B..hard going. And most if not all the time very poorly paid. So folks this is between you and me. I am a lonely old beggar. So I enjoy the chance to chat. So may I? Reading some of the posts. It appears that so many forum members are from the fairer sex. [Go on Mike. Flattery will get you everywhere] Now then Sweetones. All thyese posts and piccies of cakes. Truly you know the way to a mans heart ...via his belly. Creamy cakes etc.. Ladies, Mike is so sorry, but. My dear wife Val was a fantastic cook and pastry chef. To be honest. Mike is not a sweet tooth. So, internet wise, you will have to woo me by other means. OOh Salvia Hot Lips. Now that sounds good. Michael, behave yourself. SDlap on the wrist. So where I was? Yes, I try to make my post interesting and funny. So please folks no more of this critisism. I apologise for being an acadenic in my field, but I have tried to use my life to the full and to benefit others. So might I now split this post up.
28/07/2014 at 23:57
Having read some posts. These events have awakened my memories. So recently a forum member posted in respect to having, up til now harvested a bumper crop of soft fruits. This really is great. Well done. Generally speaking. In todays world, there exists so much doom and gloom. So to suddenly hear a bit of good news, Come on you lot, wakey wakey pin your ears back. Forgive me please for wandering off, back to the past. In all honesty. I doubt very much that growing crops on the plot is no different now as it was back in the 1940's Sorry folks. Forgive me. I am an oldie, nevertheless please bare with me. In those times, everything was hard, difficult and soul destroying. Sory to those forum members who fel it wrong to quote most personal recollections. As in other forum posts. I have shared many aspects of gardening. So back to the plot. Believe it or not. The world scene from VE day to the 1950's Life was hard. So most fanilies had a bit of a back yard. Even simple minds can at time think big. Veg or chicks. Chicks usualy won hands down. Theyv gave you eggs, and atv the end of thye day you had a Xmas dinner when you wanted it. I wel remember my dad ordering a dozen one day old chicks from Mansard Poultry Farm in Essex., I wil gloss over the rest. Then there was the produce from the plots. Spuds were the first and foremost. Then the greenstuf, and not forgetting the domestic animals. Mangols were also grown. Today it really does surprise me so much, that plot holders go in for flowers so much. Please, please believe me. In the horticultural world. Flowers will not sustainyour life. Veg...will, and in all honesty. Growing veg is the easiest and most rewarding. So perhaps. With our editors approval, on to the next stage.
29/07/2014 at 00:15
Now here we are in the late 1940's and fifties. Here in Britain, ration books were still the norm. Many familiesndid terirbest at producing butter and cheeses. I remember wel. At home, We had a glutof eggs, So mum and dad decied to pickle them. This involved a process of keeping the eggs in a solution of Izenglase. peobably mis spelled. My parents did this. Then sad to say. All went wrong, We ended up with something like 400 eggs al picked and now totally contaminated. What a waste. Then to the plot. So the spuds this year proved good. These could be store in mounds and in sacks. Other root stocks. Yes perhaps the weather had been kid, so plent of root veg was available and cold be earthed up and stored in sacks etc. Then to the soft fruits, Now thesepresented new problem. Al the berires and currants. Thes beggars
would not keep well. The only solutions was, eat now or waste, or.....preserve. So became the preseve era. Throughout the evenings, mum would be out tere in th sculery. Pots and pand bubbling away with various curents boiling away. Believe me. Althogh it was hard times. It was so romantic. So friends, Please add your comments.
29/07/2014 at 10:28

..the word 'scullery' is one I've not seen in a long time... we had one...larder would be another...where we kept butter, or more likely, something called Echo margarine.... the larder was our fridge in those times...  

...I don't believe totally in the good old days Mr Allen...I think back to often dirty, dull, dreary times... Britain always at war much as today... the Nuclear age...Kruschev promising to blow us all up at any moment....a young Kennedy..and he was quite young..lot on his shoulders... dubious love life.... we were at their mercy by and large...  fish and chips in filthy newspaper... no one knew any different...

...and there were just as many lazy good for nothings as there are today.... more today I think perhaps...since the welfare state particularly from the 1970's when it was easy to get yourself on the lifelong road to claiming benefits...and stay on them..
... I see so many older people claiming to be 'disabled' yet still digging their gardens and walking into town......I know people in their 60's who appear never to have done a days work in their lives... and so many young today follow suit...this is why I admire the Polish...in the main...always bad eggs Mr Allen, but mostly hard working folk...doing long hours in factories.... I speak to lots of these people through work... I like many of them very much.. even with little English I find them mostly pleasant...and friendly...the children - now bilingual - seemingly more intelligent and often far, far more polite...

...I think as we get older it's important to keep in touch and not to lose it... I try to keep modern Mr Allen... I keep up to date with what's going on..once you lose touch life can start to slip away and you become isolated and insecure... don't you think...?

...however, these I can do without, and usually do...such as .... Jeremy Kyle... Kim Kardashian....Katie Price.... the Beckhams.... Islamic Jihad.... I'm sure you've heard of at least one of these.... it would be difficult not to wouldn't it Mr Allen.

...do take care...

29/07/2014 at 10:51

Salino, you forgot to mention the nit nurse at school, the bed bugs, the old ladies hobbling along with one foot encased in a built up little brown boot because they had had polio, the children carted off to the fever hospital with diphtheria, never to return, the dental decay, the racking, bronchitic coughs in winter, the children with an uncorrected squint in one eye, the mothers with TB who were thin as a rake and expecting their 15 th child. All these are within my memory.

29/07/2014 at 11:25

..I think most of those are still with us today, in some communities...especially where the populace has arrived mainly from abroad...  I see a lot of that as actually quite modern... amongst other things even worse...

..the free health service here is very popular...

29/07/2014 at 11:59

Mr Allen,... I've just had the most frightening flashback.... Izal toilet paper.... we best not go there...

29/07/2014 at 12:06

Or even squares of newspaper hanging from a nail in the outside two-seater privy - don't want to go back to  that either 

29/07/2014 at 12:08

Izal was very good as tracing paper and for putting over a comb to make a 'musical instrument'.

But as for using it anywhere else

Lyn
29/07/2014 at 12:12

Well, you've got to give it to Mr. Allen having his thread pulled off by the Mods hasnt detered him one bit.

I am afraid that fairer sex, sweet tones dear lady etc doesnt do it for me.

Salino, Izal toilet paper was brilliant, you could trace or do rubbings all day, great play value.

Pansy, you forgot cutting up newspapers to line your shoes when it was raining,  then your dad would nail Blakeys on the heals, that kept them going a bit longer.

No, not good ole days, unles you were rich.

We have all worked hard for little pay, 

29/07/2014 at 12:14
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Izal was very good .....for putting over a comb to make a 'musical instrument'.

But as for using it anywhere else

Oooh, but didn't it make your top lip feel funny?

29/07/2014 at 12:17
Lyn wrote (see)

.......  We have all worked hard for little pay, 

Women especially 
29/07/2014 at 12:57

..presumably ASDA Smart Price is today's equivalent....I wonder if anyone cares to admit to it's usage..?

..you a smart price man Mr Allen?...  something tells me you might be... or Triple Velvet...?... or is this only for us ladies...lol..

...Andrex gone down the pan, if you ask me...

29/07/2014 at 13:02

Definitely NOT romantic Mike.

KEF
29/07/2014 at 13:25

Children born as late as 1958 with cerebal palsy in their legs were shipped off to a place of boarding through the week and not educated in ordinary schools. Not always with their parent's total agreement. The person I know didn't even get an education until leaving the place at age16.  

During my school years there wasn't anyone in any of my schools who had a physical disabilty.

The romantic old days  

29/07/2014 at 13:31

Newspaper instead  of toilet rolls?  Well, I have  a nice smooth bottom and I believe  it's down to using newspaper squares when I was a boy ...........

Shall I get my coat?  

29/07/2014 at 13:43

My late sister in law had partial hearing loss - not diagnosed until she was 7 - at school she was made to sit at the back of the class where she couldn't hear the teachers.  

At the age of 9 she was sent to attend a boarding school for the deaf in Sussex - her parents were on a very low wage and couldn't afford the train fare to visit her so she only saw her family during school holidays.  

This wasn't in the Dark Ages, this was in the late 1960s - don't you just love the Good Old Days 

29/07/2014 at 13:46

Oh Verdun you crack me up!  Oh dear think you're gonna have a come back on that note 

29/07/2014 at 14:05

Izal toilet rolls were made in our village. The factory also made Zal disinfectant.  The disinfectant was used to treat the paper. The smell was something else. Lorries used to deliver the Izal paper from the paper mills in its original size - rolls about 4 foot across and 6 foot in diameter (or so they looked) - they were sawn up in the factory.  Sometimes a new delivery driver would get lost in the lanes and end up wedged for hours with this massive, minging roll of loo paper on the back of his wagon. Once a mega roll slid off a lorry and began to roll down the hill into the village. 

The factory had a factory shop where they sold all the offcuts so every house in the village had a supply of these squint bog rolls. You were classed as dead posh if your house had evenly shaped, rectilinear sheets of toilet paper.

29/07/2014 at 14:09
pansyface wrote (see)

Izal toilet rolls were made in our village. ............Once a mega roll slid off a lorry and began to roll down the hill into the village. ............

That  could have wiped you all out 

1 to 20 of 152 messages