London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
7 messages
07/05/2014 at 14:02

This is the first time that I have ordered bare rooted plants.  Which is the best way to deal with them.

I thought if I planted them into individuals pots with compost and get them started this way before I planted them in the borders.

Any other way? Pleased  to hear any alternatives.

07/05/2014 at 14:13

Hiya macfall

I think you are doing it the very best way.  Amd, even then, pot them up once more before planting out.  Your plants will grow so much faster this way and when you do plant them out they will make an immediate impact 

07/05/2014 at 14:32

Thank you, never thought about potting up again, I will give it a whirl.

08/05/2014 at 11:28

It also depends how big and mature they are when you get them.  If little and in small pots, then you are 100% right, including the second potting on.  However, some companies sell large, mature plants in 2 - 3 litre pots, with mature prices to go with them,  and while these may need hardening off and getting used to the weather, wind etc. of your garden, may well be big enough to plant out at once.  Play it by ear (or trowel if you prefer!)  Enjoy anyway. 

08/05/2014 at 11:29

It also depends how big and mature they are when you get them.  If little and from small pots, then you are 100% right, including the second potting on.  However, some companies sell large, mature plants in 2 - 3 litre pots, or that size from bare root digging up,  with mature prices to go with them,  and while these may need hardening off and getting used to the weather, wind etc. of your garden, may well be big enough to plant out at once.  Play it by ear (or trowel if you prefer!)  Enjoy anyway. 

08/05/2014 at 12:57

Best to use multi purpose with john Innes... a bit more expensive but plant will be happier. A local rose expert (golds at RHS shows) said roses in pots need this, not just MPC.

08/05/2014 at 13:02

Agree about the mpc.  They seem worse every year now.  I have mixed in my own sieved soil with mpc....this was done primarily to deter vine weevil as an experiment.  Think it worked to an extent so john innes is a good addition.

email image
7 messages