Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Petersham Open Gardens

Visited the Petersham Open Gardens day this afternoon near Richmond on Thames. 14 gardens open in all. I managed to visit about 10 of them. Big houses, lots of money and some lovely gardens. Thing is there were only three of them that were the gardens of gardeners. The majority were clearly well designed and executed, providing a pleasant place for a meal on the patio or a glass of wine on a sunny summers evening. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I left with the distinct feeling that only a few of the owners had a love of gardening. There was one lovely garden with a delightful border running along the path/driveway down to their garden. The elderly couple struck me as being the most humble and also the most skilled gardeners of the lot. Money may buy you a nice garden but if your not a gardener it won't have a soul. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Did you take your camera Scott?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,025

There is a thread for photos of gardens we have visited  http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/gardens-we-have-visited-2014/325348.html 

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Sorry, no I forgot!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I usually forget as well

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Sammy7Sammy7 Posts: 12

Oh no I can't believe I missed the open garden weekend and I was only at Petersham nursery on Friday enjoying their lovely tea and wheat free cake...is it on again this year do you know? 

• I think its an annual event but there will be others nearby. Last year there was one in Ham which is the  next door village. Don't know if they are organising one this year.

Ok great i will have a look thank you..I do know Laleham village has one on sat 21st June.

• If you go onto the Open Gardens - UK National Directory you can put in your post code and it will search for open garden days for a radius of forty miles. Last year, I went to an open gardens day in Ham and in Shere. Both were great afternoons. I always find one or two gardens that really inspire me. It's also nice to know that the entrance fee goes to a charity or good cause. Having been suitably inspired spent most of my day off today in the garden wedding, hoeing and planting a few new plants. 

Fab I will have a look thank you..

I'm always looking for inspiration and different plant combinations so its interesting seeing what other people have done and just to have a good old nose lol..