Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Photographing the tulips

Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I am feeling very smug because I have actually done what I curse myself for forgetting to do every autumn.  I have taken pictures of the tulips.  This means I can work out where all the spare spaces in the beds are come the autumn if I want to plant some more.  (Obviously we are lucky here that we don't have to dig them up because the soil drains so well - they seem, if anything, to get more numerous every year so I suppose they  must divide).  And while I am at it, I will share a couple of them, and it will become clear that there is no colour co-ordination going on, they just pop up like lollipops, and I buy what I fancy. 

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

What a lovely garden Busy bee, love the roofed pergola and walled bed image pretty colours too. What a great idea for remembering where the bulbs areimage

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Wow! That is a beautiful garden, if i put tulips out in the open ground, i never see them again. You have every right to feel smug.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Thanks guys!  The raised beds are a necessity because beneath the gravel is two foot of iron ore image .  Was interested in Monty's dry beds on GW, because he is gardening on tarmac and stone, and so very similar, plus the soil here is sandy and free draining.

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595

Busy Bee2 said about tulips:

"and it will become clear that there is no colour co-ordination going on, they just pop up like lollipops, and I buy what I fancy. "

Thats more or less what happened here BB2 - bought about 7 varieties on offer and put them in (6" deep at least) grouped in colour batches in November. Had no idea how their colours would harmonise. Pleased to say the effect was a totally exhilarating surprise:

I too found last year I was struggling to know what what was growing from previous years so I went round the whole garden methodically photographing everything in bloom. I've found my iPad automatically records the date of each weekly batch of photos, which is useful to help predict what might come up,again next year, and when.

• cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

I plant my tulips using the lasagne method. There are hyacinths and crocuses mixed in too. These have been appreciated more this year as my wife was seriously ill and every time she looked out of the kitchen window it cheered her up.

I place tender perennials and annuals in the pots afterwards. November is busy but it is worth it.

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

I like your lasagne effect Cotty

, great idea! image A plan for next year.

Birdie your tulips are  stunning,  I particularly like the double yellow with the dark  T. Queen on the night (?).

By the by, read that planting tulips 10" allows for planting over with annuals later.

I have attempted MD's jewel garden  for a border this year BB2 so it is good to see such colour combinations actualy growing on this thread, as it were!

Thanks for these photos image 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

BB2, what a lovely gardenimage

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

No idea why the message extended itself  image this tablet has a will of its own  image   time to recharge our batteries!

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595

BB2, sorry I forgot to say how beautiful your garden is. not just the structure and colours of your planting but also the overall landscaping: the low stone wall is a particularly effective and attractive feature. Nice to sit on the edge on a summer's evening I should imagine.

Cotty: great collection of tulips! Looks like Giuseppe Verdi in the foreground(?)

I think I recognise Queen of the Night towards the back, but what are the lighter mauve/lilac ones next to them, please?

BizzieB: the yellow tupils are Monte Carlo and, yes, the dark ones are Queen of the Night. Thankyou, by the way, for the 10" depth advice: I will follow that next time.