Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Phuopsis stylosa aka Crosswort

ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I have been offered some of this plant.  Does anyone know it and should it it come with a warning for invasiveness?  

I have a well drained sunny spot which should suit it but don't want a thug.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
Plato

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Not grown it, but there is a huge patch of it a Chirk Castle in one of their Rock gardens. I get the impression from looking at it there that it does tend to spread.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Never grown it, but reading suggests it does "spread a bit " and does not smell very pleasant. Pictures look pretty though!

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Thanks both.   The spot I'm thinking of is next to the cow pasture and downwind of the rest of the garden so smell not a problem.

"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like the smell, it's a bit like crown imperial bulbs and foxes. 

A bit invasive, best not in a rockery where the roots can hide under  stones.

Bees like it

In the sticks near Peterborough

Thanks Nut.  Jo - no, it's deep pinky purple according to the pic she's shown me.

Plato
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Pink, known as 'the pink stuff' to a friend whose rockery it has taken overimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

I have it edging a bed. It can be invasive, but I dig it out round the edges when it misbehaves.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Thanks Busy.  I shall be putting it where it will be contained by a path edge so should be OK.

Plato