Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant addiction

I went over to Wisley at lunch time today and came away with a couple of asters for my prairie style border. Already have three and got another couple to make a group of five. Have to confess that I had to sneak them past my wife and into the garden.  

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Plants always look better in fives though!

• Seven would be even better!

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I nearly said that!  At the garden centre today Mr. Bee told me to estimate the value of the plants on my trolley and I said about 40 quid - was actually 63, but by that stage we were already at the till, and there was a queue, so nothing we could do about it except pay really!

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Busy Bee you beat me to it LOL, it actually says on this website under jobs for the week to plant perennials in 3,5 or 7s.....the more the better (it doesn't say that  bit!! ).

I had a rose delivered the other day which I have sneaked onto the border, OH hasn't even noticed yet image

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Glad I'm not the only one.  My husband gave me a budget for the garden this year ... ooops, it's already well over and I haven't done my summer order yet.  Found myself in B&Q for some reason after work and came away with 6 lilly plants that "will look perfect in the gaps in one my borders" image

CharleyD, is that your real name, I have to ask image Or is it after a certain gardener, just wondered as my OH calls me Charley image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I wouldn't even go to a show Mike.image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Verdun, I'm with you on this one, having now had my garden for 3 yrs. This yr I am removing all the plants I don't much like and planting out others. But for space, I am kind of using some of the same ideas I do for my veg. To have one thing coming into flower or season as another fades. May take me a few yrs to get it right, but that's the planimage. Also going for a 'potager' in one border, with pernnial veg, but they have to look good. I do need more evergreens and winter interest, but have limited budget so I get cuttings wherever possible to grow on. Slow but very satisfying, and always reminds of where I got them when I look at them.

Scott,BB and Charley, not sure whether having a partner to sneak plants past might be a good thing! Don't dare to go near wilko, Poundstretcher, B&Q, or any garden Centre at this time of yr. My wants are much bigger than either my budget or space. I do hope to sell some plants this yr to fund my obsession, though. Ebay and a stall at the Gala and any passers by. Instead of giving the whole lot away.

I can't stop taking fuchsia cuttings to grow new experimental twisted standards, though. Awfully heavy on compost, pots, canes and string! Have had some successes and some failures, but doubt I can part with any, except as special presents. A matched pr with crossed stems are looking good for my landlady and close friend when she has her baby soon!

The Flooded Gardens thread has helped my seed obsession though! please look and donate if you can! (A shameless plug, againimage)

I've only planted in ones, except for bulbs, but that's mainly due to the fact that I can't afford to buy 3s or 7s when I had my borders to fill, so hadn't yet thought about the bigger picture. Now I've read Verdun's and GJ posts it gives me something else to think about image