1 to 20 of 43 messages
10/04/2014 at 21:27

I went over to Wisley at lunch time today and came away with a couple of asters for my prairie style border. Already have three and got another couple to make a group of five. Have to confess that I had to sneak them past my wife and into the garden.  

10/04/2014 at 21:29

Plants always look better in fives though!

10/04/2014 at 21:29

Seven would be even better!

10/04/2014 at 21:38

I nearly said that!  At the garden centre today Mr. Bee told me to estimate the value of the plants on my trolley and I said about 40 quid - was actually 63, but by that stage we were already at the till, and there was a queue, so nothing we could do about it except pay really!

10/04/2014 at 22:31

Busy Bee you beat me to it LOL, it actually says on this website under jobs for the week to plant perennials in 3,5 or 7s.....the more the better (it doesn't say that  bit!! ).

I had a rose delivered the other day which I have sneaked onto the border, OH hasn't even noticed yet 

10/04/2014 at 22:43

Glad I'm not the only one.  My husband gave me a budget for the garden this year ... ooops, it's already well over and I haven't done my summer order yet.  Found myself in B&Q for some reason after work and came away with 6 lilly plants that "will look perfect in the gaps in one my borders"

10/04/2014 at 22:50

CharleyD, is that your real name, I have to ask  Or is it after a certain gardener, just wondered as my OH calls me Charley 

10/04/2014 at 23:47

OK. Tin helmet on, shield raised.  Generally speaking.   Mike would not buy at any show..  Questioms/amswers on a postcard.

10/04/2014 at 23:52

I wouldn't even go to a show Mike.

11/04/2014 at 00:07

Hmmm!  Planting in 3, 5 or 7?   I do plant often in 3's but usually I plant singly.  Reason is ......if grown on before planting out .....they make a good impact anyway as sIngle specimens and, secondly, I want to grow lots and lots of different varieties. Grow in a group of 7.....I do for  heathers......and you have nothing when flowering is over over a large area.   In 2 years or 3 I will have large individual specimens that have easily caught up with the 7 planted by others.

I see our Monty planting in his groups but he has a huge garden but I often think he overplants, ESP in his containers.  I often think by mid summer his plants will  be choked by his overplanting...!  

Plant combinations work better without the large groupings, in my opinion.  My single "specimen" plants provide many more interesting and varied plants to look at.  E.g. Heleniums will make large plants  very quickly as do salvias, cannas, asters ( although I do like a group of frik monch)and the like.  Grasses too grow large and do not need to be planted  in groups except for the little 'uns like Tennuissima, hordeum jubatam, fescues efc.  

11/04/2014 at 01:05

Verdun, I'm with you on this one, having now had my garden for 3 yrs. This yr I am removing all the plants I don't much like and planting out others. But for space, I am kind of using some of the same ideas I do for my veg. To have one thing coming into flower or season as another fades. May take me a few yrs to get it right, but that's the plan. Also going for a 'potager' in one border, with pernnial veg, but they have to look good. I do need more evergreens and winter interest, but have limited budget so I get cuttings wherever possible to grow on. Slow but very satisfying, and always reminds of where I got them when I look at them.

Scott,BB and Charley, not sure whether having a partner to sneak plants past might be a good thing! Don't dare to go near wilko, Poundstretcher, B&Q, or any garden Centre at this time of yr. My wants are much bigger than either my budget or space. I do hope to sell some plants this yr to fund my obsession, though. Ebay and a stall at the Gala and any passers by. Instead of giving the whole lot away.

I can't stop taking fuchsia cuttings to grow new experimental twisted standards, though. Awfully heavy on compost, pots, canes and string! Have had some successes and some failures, but doubt I can part with any, except as special presents. A matched pr with crossed stems are looking good for my landlady and close friend when she has her baby soon!

The Flooded Gardens thread has helped my seed obsession though! please look and donate if you can! (A shameless plug, again)

11/04/2014 at 09:25

I've only planted in ones, except for bulbs, but that's mainly due to the fact that I can't afford to buy 3s or 7s when I had my borders to fill, so hadn't yet thought about the bigger picture. Now I've read Verdun's and GJ posts it gives me something else to think about 

11/04/2014 at 09:40

'I had a rose delivered the other day which I have sneaked onto the border, OH hasn't even noticed yet ' OL!!!  LOL!!!

"Why this old thing?  I've had it for years - forgot it was at the back of the wardrobe."

"The rose? Oh it's self sown...."

11/04/2014 at 09:47

I can buy what I want, when I want - that's the advantage of being on my own again!  

11/04/2014 at 10:05

You know Fairy, that does have to be one of the best things.  I can remember how pleased my mum was when she went out and got a job so she could go round the shops without being answerable.  OH watches my money too though

11/04/2014 at 10:34

To be fair, he doesn't watch the money that much and he knows that what I do buy is usually on offer, I very rarely buy something for the garden full price unless it's from a discounter (I think it's his Yorkshire genes rubbing off on me!!), I think it's more that I feel guilty for spending money....it's a long running issue going back to when I was little  He was very impressed that the obelisk from Wilkos was only £6 

11/04/2014 at 11:07

Whats his is mine,...and whats mine,...is my own....

Well.. sometimes lol...he's ok....i've just taught him you can't take it with you...enjoy (but be sensible lol)

11/04/2014 at 12:53

When she buys clothes from M&S the she will never wear,I spend the same on the garden.

11/04/2014 at 13:38

I am absolutely addicted to gardening, I grow most things I like (being on your own means I do not have to hide things I buy or do).  I have so many favourites, on top of the list are roses, certain lilies, peonies, nearly most of the acid loving plants, such as camellias, azaleas,rhododendrons, magnolias blue berries etc.  I grow vegetables as well, favourites are asparagus, sprouting broccoli, beans etc.  Gardening for me is a passion, I am simply an obsessive, compulsive, gardener.  Just cannot get enough of plants. 

11/04/2014 at 13:41

You're in the right place then,  Cera

This is the forum for people who cannot get enough of plants.

1 to 20 of 43 messages