Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID - my own thread

By popular demand, my smells-like-cat-wee-but-bees-dig-the-flowers plant is back with it's own thread.

I inherited this plant when I bought my new garden. Does anyone know what it's called? The garden was unattended to for 6 months and this plant thrived in a tub. I had to do some pretty violent root amputation to get it out of the tub, then split it from an offspring plant which had grown in the same tub next to it. Mother and baby are both doing well and smelling of cat wee. (The photo is of the baby plant.)

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Does it really smell like cat wee?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I suppose I have to be different I like Salvia hot lips,I've also just acquired Salvia Dayglow which is bright pink.Each to there own I quess.

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

I also like it Chrissy, plus all of the other types - my favourites are the blue flowered types. Hot Lips smells more of blackcurrants to me, although like Verdun, I am no expert on cat odours!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I too am no fan this particular Hot Lips, but guanajuato, which Verdun mentioned , I grew a few years ago and, without fail , everyone who saw it commented upon it.

Devon.
  • As blue is my favourite colour, I would probably prefer the other varieties mentioned above too. But I'm a little sentimental about abandoned plants, so hot lips will be staying with me for the foreseeable future image

Another reason I couldn't get rid of it is that I like the bee visitors that it attracts (I know I could replace it with another bee-friendly plant, but it seems so mean!).