Start a new thread

1 to 19 of 19 replies

Hi. This plant was grown from A seedling which came with other seedlings from EBay. Think it may be a bird of paradise but flowers are different. More like a shiny parrot's beak. Any ideas?

nutcutlet

Bird of Paradise is strelitzia, it's not that. 

I don't recognize it, sorry

Dovefromabove

It does look familiar but I can't put my finger on it.  Any chance of a clearer closer photo?

Atilla

There is a false bird of paradise plant called Heliconia rostrata 'Parrot's Beak '/ lobster claw plant. Which fits in the the names.

However, Heliconia tend to have long thin leaves and the picture above is not clear, so am assuming the pic is of a juvenile Heliconia leaves and flower.

Dovefromabove

The texture of the leaves looks wrong for a heliconia to me.  

The stem and leaves look a bit like a brugmansia/datura possibly?

Advertisement

fidgetbones

Is it abutilon megapotamicum? Is that the flower bud?

Pottie Pam

Could it be a form of impatiens?

nutcutlet

It's not himalayan balsam but I don't know other membersof the family well enough to say.

Ta for all your responses. It's not Lobster claw. Have one of these. I will try to make the first pic clearer.

You could try Impatiens niamnianensis the flowers of this plant are shaped like a parrots beak

Pottie Pam

I think you've got it izzy.

I do believe izzy is right.

Advertisement

nutcutlet

I think she is. I've never seen it for real but have just looked at photos. Once you get past all the red and yellow ones there are some like the picrture above

Atilla

I had to google Impatiens niamnianensis. Not the best time of year to have impatians seedlings but am sure it will get through the winter inside.

I was a bit thrown at first cause I've only seen red and yellow flowers. I bought one at a plant sale some years back but lost it,

Ta for all responses. Izzy is right, it is Impatiens niamnianensis. We will mollycoddle it all winter and if it survives will post some photos of it in early spring.

Thanks again.