London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
04/05/2014 at 09:37

Found this pot nearly buried in my sisters garden. And now its mine! Its brass and 26ins accross.

Could you please give me some ideas for plants. I'd quite like something taller at the back.

I can't make it into a water feature as its had a hole drilled into the bottom..

Many thanks.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/44697.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

04/05/2014 at 10:12

I think it would make a lovely Alpine garden Lily, some pretty Sedums and Sempervivum 

I can't remember if you have one already though?

04/05/2014 at 10:19

Or for a collection of thymes or other herbs.

04/05/2014 at 10:21

Did think of that OL, but wondered if it would be too big

Quite fancy something trailing over the side of the pot somewhere.

04/05/2014 at 10:28

Can you lift it and tilt it slightly and have something like lobelia trailing out of it, like a pan of water, with something white, like alyssum in the back, or gypsophila rising like steam.  Or with some blue salvia?  I am rubbish at design - a bit too literal I think!!  When I saw it I thought it would look nice with red flowers in it for some reason..  So maybe blue is not a good idea.  But maybe if you look at it and try to imagine it with different colours in, you could choose what works best in your mind's eye, and that would narrow down the field??

04/05/2014 at 11:06

Ooh Busy bee, love gypsophilia, thats a great idea, .....actually,........thinking of that........think I would like something soft, pale and frothy looking..... pale pinks and blues?..........any more ideas please Busy, 

04/05/2014 at 11:56

Some dwarf phlox would look quite nice in that, Lily.

04/05/2014 at 12:09

The small white bacopa is a lovely delicate looking trailer and hardy.  There is a lovely yellow one too.  But I agree with Busy Bee2 - the container would really show off something bright like reds clashing with a purple and something more sensitively balanced in a lighter shade.  It's a great looking container.

04/05/2014 at 12:29

Are there any low growing campanulas - I like that baby blue.  There is plant called 'white rock' I think which has small white flowers which would flow over the edge.  I don't know lots of plants.  Low cornflowers?  Are there such things?  There's another perennial which is out at the moment with white flowers which tumble out.  Can't remember the name.  Maybe it's bacopa - will have to look that one up Yarrow!

04/05/2014 at 19:26

Sorry for late reply, just got home from a christening. Many thanks for all your ideas, will look up all your suggestions.

04/05/2014 at 20:47

Agree with Busy.  Red was first colour I thought of.  

Red sedums, pelargoniums, gazanias, sempervivens, or aeonium swarzcopf (have to check that spelling cos think its wrong) growing out of a carpet of sedum spurium.

Its not a large pot.  One simple theme will look best I think 

04/05/2014 at 20:50

Aeonium schwarzkopf........silly me! 

04/05/2014 at 20:56

Thanks Verdun, will look them up. Pot seems quite big, its 26 inches accross.

04/05/2014 at 21:55

Hey Sweet!  It might be worth a few bob.  It might have some age to it.

04/05/2014 at 22:04

Hi Mike, good to see you, hope you are feeling ok after Friday ( hope I've got the right day) 

Think it is quite old,  apparently it belonged to my sisters mother in law, who had had it for many years, but not sure how many. It looks a bit sorry for itself but the whole pot is brass.

Not to everyones taste but I love it. Looking forward to filling it with flowers.

05/05/2014 at 08:53

Lovely suggestions, just had a peek, love bacopa, thats a deffinate. Couple of Verduns suggestions are on the list too. 

05/05/2014 at 09:27

how about a meditteranean planter? echeverias, euphorbia myrsinites (for trailing over the edge) and that lovely aeonium as well as a variety sempervivums...needs virtually no attention once planted, except to bring the echeveria and aeonium under cover for the winter.

05/05/2014 at 11:53

Thank you gardening granny,  Would I have to bring the planter inside or just cover the plants in fleece.

Because the pot is quite large and is heavy empty. So when filled with earth I don't think I could move it.

05/05/2014 at 12:51

I have two "gardens" like this - the sepervivums and sedums are fine outdoors, but I bring my echeverias (and aeonium, if I was lucky enough to have one) into the unheated greenhouse (they rot if the rain gets inside them over winter) - I'm about to replant them in their containers (tomorrow if I have time) and then I'll load a photo.

05/05/2014 at 13:19

The aeoniums will need to go indoors in the winter....although through most winters they survive outside here. ......but they grow quickly.  Every spring I cut the tops and insert into 9cm pots of perlite rich compost.  By summers' end I have new plants several inches tall.  

1 to 20 of 26 messages