Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant support

I was looking for some nice plant supports for my Tulip pot when I came across this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00jdxd1

How do you support your plants ??

Opps I forgot to say you have to show a photo and make the support your self

James

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

I can't see that as I think it's from i player which I can't get as I live in France, but the brief picture I saw of Monty Don holding a plant support looked exactly like the support I've been making for years at a fraction of the price you buy in the garden centres.

Buy a length of thin steel from a DIY place. Bend it round a tree. Put a plank across it on the ground where the round end joins the two long legs. Stand on the plank to hold it stable and pull the 2 long legs up. One plant support!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I feel so incredibly dense image  I spent a small fortune on several dozen of this kind of plant support this year - and would have done the same next year if not for this post - and it never once occured to me to make them myself, despite working for a company that has a huge warehouse full of steel out the back.  I just watched the video, ran to the shopfloor, explained what I wanted and am currently having 50 lengths of stainless steel cut to size and bent into shape at a cost of 40p each.  Doh!

• Macavity

Would I be able to buy say 20 rods from you

Pleas PM me I would collect

• I've sent you a PM, James image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Brilliant idea! The ones in shops are pretty expensive.image

• addictaddict Posts: 659

Thanks for posting that James. Brilliant, cheap and easy to do. Up until now I have either used what my customers have or have used willow sticks, hazel or dogwood. All bendy enough but obviously not lasting more than a season.

Sorry no pics, no camera image

• I use the sticks from the prunings of my dogwood they are very bendy.image

• Hi everyone, I'm very interested in the plant support chat. Can you tell me please how thick the steel needs to be to give good support to foxgloves and delphiniums. Will somewhere like BQ sell it do you think? image