Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant supports

I'm needing about 20 metal plant supports for tall plants like delphiniums etc.  Had a look on Amazon and the prices vary quite alarmingly.  Any recommendations from anyone for a supplier who would ship to France?

Thanks in advance

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I agree, I've tried all kinds of metal supports but much prefer rustic looking wood.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I prefer the metal supports, don't like canes.  The Monty Don video is really good.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • TyphooTyphoo Posts: 45

Thanks for taking time out to comment folks - canes wouldn't be strong enough I'm afraid.  Tetley - listening to nothing you say - we're in competition!!!!!!!!image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352
    I like Harrods Horticultural Supplies for metal plant supports / cages etc. They're not cheap but are good quality and good service. Supports bought over 10 years ago are as good as the day I bought them.

But I also use a lot of twiggy pea stick type supports which look more natural and are a free product of shrub & tree pruning - and I prefer sturdy bamboo canes for the delphiniums.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719

Found the canes get brittle after a couple of years and snap.

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

just a quick one why not try willow canes you can buy then quite cheaply they grow really long  they are really flexible so you could double them over if needed any way just an idea good luck.

• You have to buy good quality canes in the first place. The ones sold v. cheap at the warehouse type places are often very thin and  poor. Better ones are thicker and last longer.