London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
10 messages
18/09/2013 at 19:37

So when can I put my Lupin seeds in peat to start them to grow, when can I put them out into pots to grow ??  I havent a clue at all.  Had my first go at Sweet Peas this year and they were a great success !!!  

Thankyou

18/09/2013 at 20:13

Hi Susan, I wouldn't start them in peat at any time, you need something with a bit more body to it and freer draining (for most plants, not just lupins). I mix.John Innes seed compost with multi-purpose and that works for me.

I'd set them in spring, early spring if you have a heated green house, later if not. I start most hardies in a cold GH in early March. Lupins might benefit from a soak or nicking the seed coat to help them get started.

18/09/2013 at 20:31

Hi Susan  - I've grown lupins from seed before, and did as Nut suggests.  I sowed in Feb/Mar in a windowsill propagator, then pricked out into trays in the GH (covering them everytime frost was forecast, because my GH is unheated).  I eventually had plants big enough to plant out in June, and got flowers in about August.  That was 3 years ago and they are stil going strong !

19/09/2013 at 00:05

My lupin seeds sown from my parent plants were sown early August, and are putting on their true leafs

19/09/2013 at 09:04

They will germinate fresh very quickly won't they? I find it hard to look after all the babies through winter if I do too much of that

25/02/2014 at 14:15

Hi,

I got these lupin seeds from an e-bay nursery and also from lupins growing in my garden last summer.  The seeds bought are dark, big and shiny, mine I left in pods are pale small and shrivelled, wondering why? as my lupins were good flowers originally from Morrisons and JParkers.

Also I have a green house (unheated) because its been so mild, I am tempted to put them there in a propagator/seed tray, am I being too impatient?

Many thanks

25/02/2014 at 14:19

@Dreamsofspring - you can germinate them now, as long as the GH does not fall below 0C they will be fine.

26/02/2014 at 12:47

Thank you blairs, just put them in today, I soaked them over night, and put them into expanded jiffy pellets and tray then covered with a poly bag.  I used the ones that I collected from last years flowers and not the e-bay ones.  Is it true they will have more vigour if fresh?

The only thing, is that I didn't push them too deep or cover them with much soil in the pellet?

Regards

26/02/2014 at 13:37

It depends on what variety you collected the seed from. If they were one of the F1 types, they will not come true to the parent plant.

When they germinate you can put the jiffy pellet in a 7cm pot to grow on and add a  bit more compost.

26/02/2014 at 20:57

I have no idea, they were different colours from my late summers garden, I got initially from JParkers and some were dry roots from Morrisons.  The seeds were small, pale green and shrivelled, some swelled after soak and some didn't.  In contact the ones from the e-bay nursury are black, shiny and much bigger, like tiny black pebbles. I have not seeded these yet, I think I may do tomorrow same method with jiffy pellets to see which germinate if at all/ better or more, fingers crossed.  I have never seeded lupin before.

email image
10 messages