6 messages
12/07/2014 at 12:41

So this plant is mixed in with another next to front door, hideous combination that will be replaced with a much nicer looking climber,
The wife wants to know if the berries can be used for Gin?!

As many of the berries are past their best we figured will harvest the lot as we take it out.

Of course I'm now expecting you folks to tell me they needed another week?!

Any help would be gratefully received! 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52279.jpg?width=960&height=350&mode=max

KEF
12/07/2014 at 12:47

I thinks it's a Mahonia. As per Google some say berries are edible but bitter some slightly poisonous. I wouldn't use them I'd leave them for the birds. Later in the year I would put damsons in Gin   

Edd
12/07/2014 at 12:55

Its Oregon-Grape berry  (Mahonia aquifolium). It has a tart taste so i see no reason why you can't use them like Sloes from the Black thorn.

Edit: Wikipedia."The small purplish-black fruits, which are quite tart and contain large seeds, are included in smaller quantities in the traditional diets of Pacific Northwest aboriginal peoples, mixed with Salal or another sweeter fruit. Today they are sometimes used to make jelly, alone or mixed with salal. Oregon grape juice can be fermented to make wine, similar to European barberry wine folk traditions, although it requires an unusually high amount of sugar. The inner bark of the larger stems and roots of Oregon-grape yield a yellow dye; the berries give purple dye. As the leaves of Oregon-grape are holly-like and resist wilting, the foliage is sometimes used by florists for greenery and a small gathering industry has been established in the Pacific Northwest."

12/07/2014 at 12:56

agree. I've heard you can eat them but I don't

12/07/2014 at 12:58

If you're thinking that they are sloes... No.  Similar colour berry but thats all.

12/07/2014 at 23:51

The Blackbirds in my garden love them.  We seem to have had laods of berries on the plant this year but they won't last long the way they are being gobbled up. I would leave digging it out until the birds have finished with them if thats possible.

email image
6 messages