Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plum tree appears to be dying

Hi all, I wondered if anyone would know why my Plum tree appears to be dying. Its 3 years old, planted in the ground and until recently it was full of wonderful blossom. It has very quickly deteriorated - the leaves are drooping and are turning brown. Im not sure what has caused it? Should i prune the parts that appear dead in hope of new growth? Thank you

• Dianne BellDianne Bell Posts: 12

No, I haven't used it. Ive had a close look and it does have a few green insects but not an infestation that I would have thought would cause such major trauma. I read something about frost when in blossom? Another possibility i suppose would be over watering due to a leaking water feature? I just dont know what to do - either wait and see if it recovers or prune the dead parts back? I do hope i haven't lost it after such a wonderful  show of blossom. Definitely no plums this year image

I'll get some pics tomorrow and put them on - hope i can work out how to do it. I'm a novice at this sort of thing. 

Hi Mike, I'll get some pics tomorrow and put them on - hope i can work out how to do it. I'm a novice at this sort of thing.  

Only a short term leak on the water feature so I guess it wouldn't be that.  Thanks pansyface.

We have had some wind. It is staked but I haven't checked the base. Will have a look tomorrow. 

Hi Mike, I'll get some pics tomorrow and put them on - hope i can work out how to do it. I'm a novice at this sort of thing.  

Only a short term leak on the water feature so I guess it wouldn't be that.  Thanks pansyface.

• Will-i-amWill-i-am Posts: 1

Dianne. Check for white, fan shaped fungus beneath the bark at base level, blackening of roots. It may (hopefully not) be honey fungus, which would mean lifting & burning the plant & sterilizing or removing the soil. Without seeing the plant it's difficult. It could be anything inhibiting root growth. Or it may be due to slight drought & cold wind if leaves are brown & crispy. Water logged if yellowy & supple. I'd be inclined to poly bag a few leaves & take them to the local nursery & ask what they think it's due to (plus a photo of the tree on your phone). carefully Airate the soil with a fork to get some air to the roots aka the lawn. Mulching is always a good thing with fruit trees at the correct time of year also. Good luck. Do let us know how you get on.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Unfortunately there's currently a problem with posting pictures on the forum - the tech team are working on it and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

In the meantime some people are getting around this glitch by uploading their pictures onto one of the photo-hosing websites such as Photobucket, and posting a link.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Going to check all these possibilities after work. Shame i cant upload photos. Haven't a clue how to do it via photobucket image Thanks Dovefromabove for letting me know and everyone for your advice. Will keep you posted on outcome.

No sign of fungus or blackening of roots. Still some leaves on but some branches appear dead.  Could it be frost or wind damage but my pear and apple trees look fine and they were only put in the ground about 6 weeks ago?

Hi, I'm trying to upload a photo of my tree but get a message saying unable to upload and a long description of error.  I'm  tring to do it via samsung tablet - is it not compatible? Thanks