Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plum tree infestation

DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Hello everyone, I haven't been on the forum for quite a while but now find myself in need of  advice from some of you knowledgeable people out there!  I have had a lovely Victoria plum tree for about ten years and it has given me many pounds of lovely plums over the years, however the plum tree moth is now becoming unmanageable and my trap is not sufficient to kill off enough of the pesky creatures? Could I replace it. Safely with a cherry tree?

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Hi Daydaisy

Sorry to hear about your plum tree. Were you thinking of planting in exactly the same place? If so I would not recommend a cherry as they are closely related to plums being members of the Prunus genus and share some of the same nutrient requirements and pests and diseases. If you are able to plant in a different place you need to ensure that your cherry is a self fertile variety so you only need one tree and is on dwarfing rootstock a sweet cherries can grow to be quite big. If you have to plant in the same place I would suggest you select a fruit tree that is unrelated or distantly related.

• DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Thank you so much for your reply. Further research has led me to believe that the pest is sawfly lavae and not plum moth so perhaps I might try spraying the tree in spring when the blossom falls. There isn't any other place for my tree to go so it may be worth trying to save this one. Other than that would a pear tree be suitable?