London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
8 messages
23/06/2014 at 13:35

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50371.jpg?width=652&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50372.jpg?width=652&height=350&mode=max

This giant poppy has grown between paving slabs. I think it has either self seeded from the poppies in my popts or i've dropped them while sowing. but its doing so so so much better than anything in my pots and there are 3 of them right by my pots all coming up between the slabs. Is this how I should try and grow them in the future? do poppies like really stony/concrete-y soil? either way. they have been a very pleasant surprise! Just disappointed I wont be able to take them when I move! (I also now have better photos of them doing even better but not uploaded them yet)

23/06/2014 at 14:09

Plants love gaps in paving and gravel and other inhospitable looking sites.

In my experience poppies don't like pots much.

I've got lobelia in a paving gap, I don't know where that came from, it's years since I grew any

23/06/2014 at 14:15

From what you can see in my garden poppies seem to like to grow everywhere you don't want them - we've them in cracks in the paving, in what I thought was a pile of wood shavings my partner never cleared up, in a bag of cement that's been left in the rain, through cracks in the compost bin, on top of the anti weed matting but under the slate pieces... amazing plants!

23/06/2014 at 14:28

You see where the wild ones grow, often on the thinnest of soils, and always where it's well drained.  That's what I love about plants that do that - they look so good where they want to be. Erigeron karvinskianus is another great one for it.  There are so many, though, I grant. HC

24/06/2014 at 11:15

ah well thats good news. I think theres a patch where a little shed used to be, looks like it has very thin soil over some concrete so maybe I can sow my poppies there. Thanks all! 

24/06/2014 at 16:22

Hello Thomas Wilkinson 2, When you move just take a few poppy seed heads with you, they will soon get to work What a lovely colour that one is by the way

24/06/2014 at 16:36

Lovely poppy Thomas.  I get loads around which shows how poor my soil is  I think thin soil is a term for soil with no real body such as compost, manure etc.  It really depends on how deep the soil over the concrete is.  However, if there are cracks in the concrete they will do well.

How long is it until you move now?  Can't be too long.

27/06/2014 at 13:28

They are pretty old foundations, and the soil is there, it does look a little shallow, but deep enough maybe. I'll add some compost on top for good measure. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50946.jpg?width=652&height=350&mode=max

Thats the other one that has grown in the pavement. Such a nice red on them.

I'm in the process of moving now, put a couple of foxgloves in the ground but thats all i've had time to do so far. Such a big challenge, but one i'm looking forward to taking on. Hoping the poppies outside the old place will get to seed before I leave. how long do they take to mature does anyone know? and if I take the seed pod before it starts opening, will the seeds inside still be viable?

Thanks! 

email image
8 messages