15 messages
09/06/2012 at 10:14

Rant of the day :

Well here we go again - another soggy Saturday. The forecast for our region in Lancashire : cloudy , showers . and a bit of sun . What have we got ? A full blown monsoon ! Why oh why do they get it so wrong - hanging baskets bashed to bits ' clematis escaping from their supports - not to mention my new cosmos which I grew from seed getting totally flattened and washed away. The spring shrubs need pruning - no way am I venturing outside at the present so maybe no flowers for me next year,

I know the drought crisis in the other parts of the country was pretty bad but am I alone in thinking the North has got your share ???!  On a plus note there's been a lot of bird activity on the feeders this morning ( brave souls ! ) Saw two nuthathatches scurrying up and down the trellis which cheered me up as they are pretty rare in our part of the world - however this weather is driving me nuts. For heavens' sake ITS JUNE !!!!

09/06/2012 at 10:22

Sorry, the bird bit was meant to be nuthatches !

09/06/2012 at 10:24

It is driving me nuts too and I am in the drought-ridden South East, it is so frustrating when they predict a nice day and they get it wrong. I also have cosmos and assorted annuals that look like they will never flower this year.

09/06/2012 at 10:30

As we speak just noticed my obelisk 's fallen over taking with it my morning glory which I also grew from seed . Grrrrr.

09/06/2012 at 10:38

You have my sympathy, my morning glory are still in the cold frame waiting for some warmth, I keep waiting for a sunny day to plant them out but........

09/06/2012 at 10:45

Oh no have I put them out too early ? Don't want to lose anything else . Don't think I can get them back in now as they've entwined themselves allaround obelisk ( thats if they're still alive ) More stress !

09/06/2012 at 10:51

I have a load of plants still sitting in the greenhouse, that should have gone out a fortnight ago. At least they're still growing and not getting rubbished. They're doing a lot better than some I put out a long while ago.

I have a birds nest in a rambling rose. Yesterday the poor little thing was waving all over the place.

More cool and showery weather forecast for this week too (for the Midlands). But there is a suggestion that things might improve after next weekend...

The Met Office say: "After next weekend there is a slightly increased chance of more settled conditions with the focus of the unsettled weather shifting towards the north, while the south and west could have lengthier dry and bright spells. Temperatures generally slightly below average at first, perhaps recovering to near average, or even rather warm in the southeast later."

09/06/2012 at 11:01

Gary the weather forecast that I saw last night said it would still be cool next week.

Jean it is one of those difficult things you are "not too early" but they will not enjoy this cold weather so may take a while to get going again.

09/06/2012 at 11:12

According to the weather station in my garden (EM), 2.5 inches of rain last week but judging by the soggy state of everything and a few buckets I left out, more like 5 inches!

09/06/2012 at 11:12

Guess I'll just have to hope for best - whoever said gardening was a nice relaxing hobby . Still ,we learn by our mistakes - just thought it would be safe as we had such good weather end of May. As for forecasts - I don't trust them . They lie !!!!

09/06/2012 at 12:13
kate1123 wrote (see)

Gary the weather forecast that I saw last night said it would still be cool next week....

Yes, that's right. The ever-so-slight possiblity of an ever-so-slight increase in temperature is from next weekend - 17th June onwards.

09/06/2012 at 12:41

cold, wet, grey, dark - did we all sleep through summer and it is now autumn?  Granted the grasses and hostas are loving it, but hardly any flowers on anything due to darkness, think we are all pretty miserable and fed up.  Veggies just sitting there looking sad, courgettes with lots of leves but no flowers, nor would I - ditto just about everything else. 

The farmers must be very worried, nothing will ripen while it is like this, and there does not seem to be much let up forecast.  Yesterday they weres showing all the reasons this is happening, frankly my dear I don't give a damn - just 'when is it going to stop'.

09/06/2012 at 13:19

Has anyone read the headlines on the Express this morning ?

Sorry I did . Monsoon floods.and worse storms for a decade. 

09/06/2012 at 13:33

Well, it's pitch dark here and thunder is rumbling overhead - but no rain as yet. I still have rhodochoton and black-eyed Susan to go out - they're outgrown their pots, but there's no way I'm putting them out in this. It's so cold that the thermostatically-controlled heating has come on!

09/06/2012 at 13:34

Rhodochiton. I wish they'd fix "edit".

email image
15 messages