London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
4 messages
17/08/2013 at 17:25

Hello - I've planted some sweet peas in a bed in the garden and in a hanging basket both at the same time.

The ones in the hanging basket are growing healthy, proud, tall and have been flowering for about 3 weeks - the ones in the soil in the bed in the garden are growing proud and tall but... WITHOUT FLOWERS...

Can anyone help me with an exlanantion as to why - and if so - what solution there could possibly be ?

Many thanks,

Chris Fogg

(I live in the Yorkshire Dales and it's my first year of gardening in my new home)

17/08/2013 at 20:10

Are they all the same type, something like snoopea?. It's possible the ones in the hanging basket have less food and so are flowering, and the others have too much nitrogen and so are making a lot of leaf?

17/08/2013 at 21:03

I planted sweet peas in the ground and in tubs of the old fashion variety.The ones in pots looked well then began to fail,the the ones in the ground are doing well but not brillant .You have to keep picking the flowers which i have done and watered well and fed but this year is not doing at all well.

18/08/2013 at 20:28

I planted seeds in rootrainers in Feb,planted out in May,and have been picking so many since  june that everyone is sick of them. dahlias for cutting now.

email image
4 messages